Healthy glutenfree masala or khara biscuits recipe is up on the blog today. Crispy crunchy biscuits made healthy using rice flour, a glutenfree option, corn flour is also added to help in holding the dough together. It is super easy to bake and healthy. These glutenfree biscuits were a HIT at home!! My kids loved it.
I have used red onion powder and garlic powder from Kitchen D’lite. They have an excellent packing and was delivered in time by amazondotcom. These are fine textured powders from dehydrated forms of red onion and garlic without preservatives. These can be used in our everyday cooking like in stews, salads, stir fry, grilling, soups, sauces by substituting directly one small onion and 8 cloves of garlic. Its aroma is very strong and it tastes as much our fresh onion or garlic.
I am sure these will make your cooking easier and fun. These red onion and garlic powder can be ordered via amazon, click the link here
I have used red chilli powder to give the light hue of red and spiciness to the biscuits. In addition to this I have added crushed kasuri methi which gives a nice aroma. The right balance of masala in biscuits gives nice aroma and taste. We love to savor these masala biscuits with our coffee or tea.
Let’s check the detailed recipe below
Glutenfree Masala or Khara Biscuits
- Rice flour - ¾ cup
- Corn flour - ¼ cup
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Red onion powder - 1 tsp Kitchen D’lite
- Red chilli powder - 1tsp
- Dried fenugreek leaves or Kasuri methi - 1 tsp
- Butter unsalted and soft - 3 tbsp
- Curd - 2 ½ tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Baking soda a pinch
- Take a bowl, add rice flour and corn flour mix well.
- Add salt, garlic powder, red onion powder, red chilli powder and mix well.
- Add crushed kasuri methi, baking soda and mix well again.
- Add soft butter to flour mixture and mix with the tip of fingers to get bread crumb like flour.
- Now add curd little at a time and bring the flour together to form dough. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes for the dough to hold.
- Remove the dough from refrigerator and take small balls of dough between the parchment paper, press them. Make shapes of biscuits either circular or square as per convenience as the dough is crumbly and requires some time to hold. Pierce with fork on the biscuits before baking.
- In the mean time, preheat the oven at 180 °C for 10 mins. Place the prepared biscuit dough in the parchment paper lined baking tray, bake at 170° C for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, keep the biscuits in the tray itself for 5 mins as they will be very soft to handle and then remove from tray and cool them on wire rack.
- As the biscuits cool they become crisp and crunchy. Store in air tight containers.
- Glutenfree healthy masala biscuits are ready to be served.
Temperature and time settings differ from individual oven.
The dough is difficult to handle before refrigeration therefore, refrigeration is a must in this recipe.
Red onion and garlic powder can be replaced with other flavours of choice.
Mint or curry leaves can be added instead of kasuri methi leaves. Red chilli powder can be adjusted as per taste.
Store in air tight container to retain the freshness.
Biscuits can be rolled into thin sheets to get more crispy ones.
Do not remove from tray immediately after baking, as they tend to break. Keep them for some time and then cool them on wire rack.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.