Punjabi Dal Fry
Punjabi dal fry is a delicious Indian curry flavored with mild spices. This is my hundredth post and still a long way to go. I learn’t few recipes like dal fry, dal makhani and lassi years back from a cook in dhaba on Chandigarah and Manali highway. Thought of documenting this recipe for the blog. Prepared this Punjabi dal fry using the dal I ordered from online store popular essentials. It mainly consists of moong dal and masoor dal. The dal mix was clean and well packed with reasonable rate. It cooks very well and can be used for everyday cooking.
Dal or lentils is a staple food in most part of Indian sub-continent and one of the protein sources for vegetarians. There are varieties of dal and are power house of proteins, vitamin B1 and folic acid. My kitchen never misses using dal for day to day cooking. There are many delicious dishes which can be prepared using this dal mix like dal tadka, methi dal, dal fritters both deep fried and baked versions. This recipe is very simple and can be relished with rice or any Indian flat bread
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Punjabi dal mix- 1 cup (Popular Essentials)
Cinnamon stick – 1 small
Cloves – 2
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Green chili – 2 nos
Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
Cumin or jeera- ½ tsp
Onion chopped – ¼ cup
Tomato chopped – ¼ cup
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – ½ tsp
Lemon juice – ½ tsp or as per taste
Coriander leaves- 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Oil- 3 to 4 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
Water as required
- Take a pressure cooker pan, heat oil, add cinnamon stick, bay leaf, cloves, fry for few seconds.
- Add punjabi dal mix and fry well until they slightly change in colour. Add turmeric powder, mix well. Add required quantity of water and pressure cook the dal for three whistles.
- Take a pan, heat oil, ghee, add mustard seeds, cumin, saute well. Next add green chilies, fry well. Add ginger- garlic paste, saute well.
- Now add chopped onion, saute until they turn golden. Next add tomatoes pieces, little water, cook until they become mushy.
- Add coriander powder, lemon juice, coriander leaves, add salt as per taste, if required water can be added, mix well.
- Add this to hot cooked dal and mix well.
- Serve this hot Punjabi dal fry with rice or any Indian flat bread.
The thickness of dal can be adjusted with water, I have added little water.
Any dal mix combination can be used for this dish.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.