Aloo methi rice is a delicious glutenfree recipe for breakfast or lunch. I learn’t this masala recipe from my mother who often prepares this with only methi or fenugreek leaves. I usally do this way with aloo and peas to add on the flavor. This is a healthy one pot meal with many health benefits from fenugreek leaves like controls cholesterol, high in fiber, helps in improved liver function.
The sona masuri rice I have used is from online store popular essentials. I usually do not prefer shopping everyday grocery online, as I am not sure with their package and in time delivery, but this time wanted to try this grocery online option. Ordered ten kg of sona masuri rice and punjabi dal from popular essentials. I must say had a good experience with popular essentials and amazon.in with their in time delivery of grocery with excellent package. The rice bag is with a zip, well stitched and this makes it easy to handle and use. The rice can be stored in this zipper bag. The quality of rice is good, grains are small, clean and with proper proportions of water, we get well cooked non sticky rice. The price is very much reasonable and affordable. Overall an excellent packing and quality of sona masuri rice from popular essentials. Well the in time delivery and packing from amazon.in needs to be appreciated. I loved the way they delivered the goods without any damage to the product.
The dry masala powder with flavor of dry kopra gives a distinct taste to the rice. Each masala ingredients need to be fried nicely to get nice aroma. The methi leaves adds to the flavor. Try this delicious flavored rice recipe
Let’s see the recipe now
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Sona masuri rice -2 cups (Popular Essentials)
Methi or fenugreek leaves – 1 cup
Potato or aloo cubes – 1 cup
Green Peas – ½ cup
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil- 2 tbsp
Ghee- ½ tbsp
Lemon juice as per taste
Water- 5 cups
Channa dal – 2 tbsp
Urd dal – 1 ½ tbsp
Coriander seeds -1 tsp
Cumin or jeera – 1 tsp
Dry kopra or coconut – ¼ cup
Asafoetida or hing – ¼ tsp
Red chilies -5 to 6 no
Coconut oil – ½ tbsp
Curry leaves – 4-5
- Soak the sona masuri rice for ½ hour in water. Drain and keep this aside
- Take a pan, roast channa dal and urd dal in coconut oil on medium flame, until they slightly change in colour. Take this out and roast coriander seeds, cumin, red chilies until they slightly change colour. Cool these roasted masala ingredients.
- Take a blender, add the cooled roasted masala ingredients, dry kopra, asafoetida, curry leaves. Keep aside for further use.
- Take a pressure cooker pan, add oil, ghee, mustard seeds, sauté well. Now add the aloo pieces and fry them well until they slightly turn golden. Add peas, powdered masala powder, fry well for a minute.
- Add the methi leaves and sauté well for 2 minutes. Next add the drained rice and fry for a minute.
- Add turmeric powder, salt as per taste, lemon juice, water, mix everything once, close the pressure cooker lid. Cook for 2 whistles. Open the lid after it cools down, mix everything after 5 minutes. Aloo methi rice is ready. Served this aloo methi rice with tomato onion raita.
Soaking the rice helps in better cooking of rice giving non-sticky rice.
Coconut oil can be replaced with any refined oil.