Whole lemon sweet and spicy chutney step by step recipe is today’s new blog post. This lemon chutney is a speciality from Malnad region of Karnataka. This is a glutenfree and vegan recipe.
Lemon chutney is delicious and healthy with many benefits like it is loaded with vitamin C, induces good digestion, it helps in removal of toxins, improves immunity. This chutney has a fingerlicking fusion taste of sweet, sour, salty spicy with bitterness at the end. If more jaggery is added, can be used as jam for breads, dosa, idlies. This lemon chutney is aromatic as I have used farm grown big juicy lemons from my native in malnad region. Whole lemon chutney can be used as accompaniment to hot rice and we love this chutney with curd rice.
I love the aroma and bitterness of lemons. My family loves this chutney though my kids don’t like them because of its slight bitterness this can reduced by adding more of jaggery.
Below is the step by step recipe
Whole Lemon Sweet and Spicy Chutney Recipe
- Whole lemons - 4 nos
- Liquid Jaggery - ¼ cup
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds or jeera - ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder - ½ tbsp
- Asafoetida or hing - ¼ tsp
- Coconut Oil- 2 tbsp
- Water as required
- Salt as per taste
- Cut the lemons with rind into cubes and remove the seeds without wasting the juice.
- Pressure cook the lemons cubes with little salt and jaggery. Cool them
- In the meantime, dry roast mustard seeds and cumin seeds on low flame for a minute or until they slightly change colour. Cool this.
- Grind the cooked lemon cubes, dry roasted mustard seeds and cumin. Grind into fine paste.
- Heat a pan, add oil, add the ground paste. Fry well for a minute on medium flame.
- Now add red chilli powder and adjust salt. Mix and fry again on low flame.
- Now add jaggery, asafoetida, little water and cook on medium flame until it thickens to chutney consistency.
- Whole lemon sweet and spicy chutney is ready and serve with curd rice.
Always choose good aromatic, juicy, big lemons for this chutney preparation.
Refined oil can be used instead of coconut oil.
I have added liquid jaggery, instead grated or powdered jaggery can be used.
The amount of jaggery and red chili can be adjusted as per individual taste.
Take care to remove all the lemon seeds before grinding, if not the seeds will spoil the taste of chutney.
I have added few rinds without seeds, juice. So no wasting of rinds too after using the juice.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.