Udupi style Mattu gulla mavina hannu gojju recipe or roasted eggplant and mango curry is traditional authentic dish from coastal regions of Karnataka. It’s nutritious and delicious gojju recipe. I learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law. This happens to be our family favorite. Udupi mattu gulla is a variety of green brinjal grown mainly in regions of udupi, Karnataka. The unique taste, location and round shape of mattu gulla got its name and geographical indication. Many udupi style dishes are prepared using this brinjal with lots of fresh coconut. The brunt flavor of mattu gulla and mango forms a unique combination and if you happen to be a brinjal and mango fan then this is a must try recipe. If udupi gulla is not available, one can use any round eggplant for this gojju recipe. The recipe is vegan, gluten free too.
Detailed recipe of this simple authentic gojju is given below
Udupi Style Mattu Gulla Mavina Hannina Gojju Recipe
- Udupi gulla or eggplant or brinjal - 1 big
- Ripe mango pulp - ½ cup
- Onion chopped - ¼ cup
- Green chili - 1 nos
- Tamarind pulp - ½ tsp
- Jaggery - ½ tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut oil - ½ tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin or Jeera - ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida or Hing - ¼ tsp
- Red chili – 1 no
- Curry leaves- 5 to 6 nos
- Roast or char the eggplant or udupi gulla directly on flame of gas burner until the outer skin turns black. Cool the roasted eggplant.
- Peel and discard the outer skin, and mash the pulp of roasted gulla.
- Take the mashed roasted gulla pulp, add ripe mango pulp, mix well.
- Add slit green chili to the pulp mixture and mash nicely.
- Add jaggery powder, tamarind paste, chopped onion and salt as per taste. Mix well so that everything blends well.
For seasoning; heat a tadka pan, add coconut oil, add mustard seeds, cumin and sauté well.
- Add red chilli pieces, curry leaves, fry on medium flame.
- At end add asafoetida, fry for few seconds and pour this seasoning on the gojju.
- Mix well and serve with hot rice.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.