Sweet and Spicy Mangrate
Yet another mango delicacy from Mangalore region. This recipe is adopted from foodie group posted by Sadashiva Rao Mailankody and Nalini Mailankody from Raaga Kitchen. Its mango season and I am happy to utilize the King of fruits to maximum. This is so delicious and easy peasy to prepare and forms amazing combination with rice, chapatti, dosa, roti.
Here is the simple recipe of Mangrate
Course: Side Dish
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 4 Nos
Grated raw totapuri mango- 2 cups
Coconut gratings-1/4 cup
Jaggery grated/ joney bella-1/4 cup
Green chillies-2-3 nos
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coconut oil or any refined oil- 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Urd dal-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-4-5 nos
- Take a thick kadai or pan, add oil, heat it. Now add mustard seeds, saute well.
- Add green chillies, urd dal, jeera, curry leaves, hing, saute well.
- Now add the grated raw mango, jaggery, turmeric powder, salt, coconut gratings, mix well.
- Close a lid and cook the raw mango mixture, until it thickens or the water content evaporates.
- Serve the hot sweet and spicy mangrate with rice, dosa, chapati.
Raw mangoes which are slightly sweetish can also be used.
Quantity of jaggery depends on the sweetness of raw mango.
Grated coconut can be used at the end as given in original recipe.
Dry kopra can also be used to give the crunchiness to final output.