Raw or tender jackfruit biryani is easy and flavorful one pot rice dish. Raw jackfruit is also called as kathal in hindi so the name kathal biryani.
This dish is a seasonal rice variety as the tender jackfruit is available in market for a very short time. This is a glutenfree recipe. In this recipe basmati rice is cooked with curd and Indian spices.
This can be enjoyed with raita made of cucumber, onion or any other raita of choice.
Raw jackfruit is rich in antioxidants, helps boost immunity and improves digestion due to high fibre content. It regulates blood sugar level and therefore it is considered as one among the superfoods.
Raw jackfruit when cooked has a meat texture. There are quite a few recipes prepared either by cooking or deep frying the raw jackfruit. I follow my own simple recipe with homemade biryani powder. Click for homemade biryani masala recipe here
How to prepare a perfect raw or tender jackfruit biryani
This is simple no frill easy to make biryani. Use good quality basmati rice. Soak the rice before cooking. This helps the removal of starch from rice and each grain cooks well.
The method to cut the raw jackfruit is described in detail in this post, click here raw jackfruit sambar
We prefer the raw jackfruit pieces in the biryani to be slightly blend with rice grains, hence I half cook the raw jackfruit separately. This step is very much optional.
Raw jackfruit pieces (uncooked) can be added directly while pressure cooking rice and masala. The other option is shallow frying the raw jackfruit pieces in oil and then mixing them with rice.
Traditionally biryani is cooked for long hours with marinated vegetables or in non-vegetarian dishes. This recipe is one pot pressure cooker method of preparing the biryani.
Recipe with step by step pictures
Heat a pressure cooker pan, add oil, shahi jeera, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf. Also add cashew pieces and fry well. Now add chopped onion and tomato, sauté until it turns mushy.
Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, green peas, sauté well. Add thick curd, cook on low flame with mixing at intervals.
Next add biryani powder (homemade), red chili powder, mix well. Now add half cooked raw jackfruit, mix well. Add soaked rice, mix everything. Add required quantity of water (approximately 5-6 cups of water), salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Release the pressure and serve hot with raita
The other rice varieties on blog, click below
Do not miss a recipe, sign up for updates from Dice n Cook
Raw or tender jackfruit Biryani
- Basmati rice – 2 cups (soaked in water for 30 minutes)
- Refined oil – 2 tbsp
- Shahi jeera – 2 tsp
- Bay leaves – 2 nos
- Cinnamom stick – 2 medium sized
- Cashew nuts – 2 tbsp
- Onion – ¾ cup
- Tomato – ½ cup
- Ginger garlic paste -1 tbsp
- Mint or pudina leaves – ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Green peas – ¾ cup
- Curd 1 cup
- Biryani powder – 2 tbsp (homemade)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Raw jackfruit pieces (half cooked) – 3 cups
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- Heat a pressure cooker pan, add oil, shahi jeera, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf. Saute well.
- Add cashew pieces and fry well. Now add chopped onion and tomato, sauté until it turns mushy.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves, green peas, sauté well.
- Now add thick curd, cook on low flame with mixing at intervals.
- Now add biryani powder, red chili powder, mix well. Now add half cooked raw jackfruit, mix well. Add soaked rice, mix everything.
- Add required quantity of water (approximately 5-6 cups of water), salt and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Let the pressure release slowly and as the biryani cools down, gently mix and serve with raita of choice.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest .
If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.