Raw jackfruit sambar or huli as we call in kannada, is a delicious recipe from udupi district, Karnataka. Tender raw jackfruit or kathal in hindi and halasina kayi in kannada is a versatile tropical fruit, it has many culinary uses. Raw jackfruit pulp is used in curries, parathas and other delicious dishes.
This sambar recipe is glutenfree and vegan. The texture of unripe jackfruit is very much similar to meat and it makes an ideal substitute during festivals. Here I am giving the sambar or huli recipe which we usually prepare at home using this tender jackfruit. We all love this type of sambar with lots of coconut and flavour of asafoetida.
Health benefits of raw jackfruit
Jackfruit is a rich source of nutrients. It is a power house of antioxidants, helps in boosting the immunity. This also gives an instant energy to the body. It also improves digestion, prevents constipation and regulates blood sugar level.
In conclusion it is basically a super food loaded with many minerals and nutrients. The tender or raw jackfruit seeds (protein rich) are also consumed directly in salads and gravies.
How to clean and cut raw jackfruit
Apply any oil on palm and the knife before starting the chopping process. This avoids the sticking of latex to the hands.
Cut the raw jackfruit into two halves, clean the latex oozing from cut ends using coconut coir or rolled paper. Now remove the outer hard thorny surface. Next remove the central hard non edible stock, chop the fruit now into small pieces and immediately put them into water to avoid discolouration. Use these chopped raw jackfruit pieces in sambar or stir fry.
Learn to make a delicious raw jackfruit sambar
Raw jackfruit should be cut into small cubes to ensure they cook properly. If they are not cooked properly, the desired thickness is not achieved. The masala and cooked raw jackfruit comes together very well giving proper consistency sambar.
Coconut oil is a must while preparing this sambar, this gives a nice flavour to sambar. If you are allergic or unavailability of coconut oil, it can be replaced with any refined oil.
There are reports that raw jackfruit leads to gastritis, so anyone suffering from this problem should have this in limited quantity. Asafoetida or hing can be added to reduce gastric issues related to over consumption of this super food.
If you want more recipes with jackfruit, check the link below
Detailed recipe is given below
Raw jackfruit sambar / huli
- Coconut gratings - 1 cup
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp
- Red chillies- 6-8 nos
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp (heaped)
- Cumin or jeera - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or hing - ½ tsp or pea sized
- Curry leaves - 5-6 nos
- Raw or tender jackfruit - 1 small sized
- Toor dal cooked - ½ cup
- Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
- Jaggery powder - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Garlic pods - 5-6 nos
- Curry leaves - 5-6 nos
- Heat a small pan, add oil and fry coriander seeds until slightly golden on medium flame. Next fry cumin seeds.
- Add red chillies, fry until they turn crisp. Add curry leaves, fry slightly.
- Cool the sambar masala mixture, grind into fine paste with freshly grated coconut, asafoetida. Keep this aside for further use.
- Sambar preparation:
- Now pressures cook the chopped raw jackfruit pieces with little salt for 3-4 whistles.
- Next take a vessel, boil the pressure cooked raw jackfruit pieces with jaggery, tamarind paste, salt. Add the cooked toor dal, turmeric powder, boil well.
- Next add in the ground sambar masala, adjust salt (if required) and water. Mix well. Boil for 5 minutes. Sambar is ready for seasoning.
- Heat coconut oil, sauté mustard seeds, fresh garlic pods and curry leaves. Pour this on cooked raw jackfruit sambar, mix well.
- Karnataka style raw jackfruit sambar is ready to be served with hot rice and some fried urad dal papad.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.