Pumpkin Peas Dry Curry or Palya
Pumpkin peas dry curry or palya is easy and simple dish. This is a savory pumpkin fry. Sweet pumpkin is a good source of minerals, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) and riboflavin which helps in preventing degenerative damage to the eyes. The potassium in pumpkin has a positive effect on blood pressure. Pumpkin peas curry is slightly sweet, tangy and spicy. It’s a delicious treat for all pumpkin lovers. I have used coconut oil and grated coconut to give authentic coastal flavor to the dry curry. It goes well with rice, chapati, poori, paratha or stuffing in chapatti rolls.
Here goes the recipe
Course: Dry curry
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Sweet pumpkin cubes- 1 ½ cup
Cooked peas- ½ cup
Grated coconut- 2 tbsp
Amchur powder- 2 tsp
Garam Masala-1 tsp
Red chili powder -2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Channa dal-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Coconut oil-1 tbsp
Curry leaves – 4-5
Water – 2 cups
- Taken a vessel, boil water. Now add pumpkin cubes and cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until they are half cooked.
- Strain water and keep this aside. Heat a pan, add oil. Now add mustard seeds and saute well until it splutters.
- Now add channa dal, fry until they turn golden.
- Add curry leaves, fry for few seconds.
- Now add the cooked pumpkin cubes and cooked peas. Add amchur powder, garam masala and red chili powder, mix well.
- Now add salt, grated coconut and mix. Close and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Pumpkin peas dry curry is ready to be served with rice, chapati, poori or paratha.
Lemon juice can be added instead of amchur powder.
Coconut oil can be replaced with any refined oil.