Orange kesar kulfi is easy to make creamy summer delight with step by step recipe. Kulfi is a much sought summer treat by kids and elders. A rich frozen dessert made with reduced full fat milk. This is a eggless gultenfree recipe. Milk is slow cooked on low flame, until reduces and changes in texture and adding the flavours of orange and making it creamy with whipped up cream. We love the texture and flavour of this kulfi and I am sure this is going to be a bookmarked for every summer from now on. This can be made in advance if you have large guests coming home.
Learn to prepare a perfect textured kulfi
There are many ways of preparing kulfi, traditional way of preparing is by reducing the full fat milk to rabdi or thickened milk. Here I have used condensed milk, milk powder to reduce the time of cooking. This is delicately flavoured with kesar or saffron, orange juice, orange zest.
The key to get a perfect textured kulfi, is proper boiling of the milk. As the milk boils, the thick skin formed is scraped back into the milk, which makes it grainy.
How to add flavours to kulfi
The flavours I have used are saffron or kesar and orange. Kesar is finely crushed to impart beautiful colour and ensure equal distribution in kulfi after freezing.
The flavour of orange is mainly from orange juice and zest. Always grate only the outer skin of oranges and avoid the inner white layer which imparts bitterness to kulfi. As my kids don’t like too much of zest, I have added in small quantities. The more you add the orange zest, the strong is the citric flavour.
Orange juice should be fresh otherwise they turn bitter to taste and this spoils the kulfi flavour. Always add the orange juice, when the milk, kesar mixture has cooled completely. If this is not taken care, the milk curdles and the taste changes.
Always boil the milk on low to medium flame, otherwise the milk solids settle at the bottom and gets burnt. Continues mixing of milk is important to prevent the milk solids from settling at the bottom.
Perfectly set kulfi
Traditionally matkas or terracotta bowls are used to set Kulfi. These days’ kulfis are set in kulfi moulds that are available in all normal stores.
Necessary steps to be taken before setting or freezing the kulfi. Firstly pour the kulfi mixture, freeze it for one hour, then pierce the kulfi sticks, cover with aluminium foil to prevent the ice crystal formation.
Before serving, remove kulfi moulds from freezer and hold the outside of mould under running tap water for few seconds. Otherwise place them in warm water for few seconds. This gives a perfect shaped kulfi to enjoy.
Make it more healthy and fun!!!
Cane sugar, palm sugar, fine jaggery powder, maple syrup or honey can be used instead of condensed milk. Addition of nuts like almond, cashew and pista gives a nice crunchy texture to the kulfi.
If you are looking for other summer delights like kulfi and ice cream recipes click below
Orange Kesar Kulfi Recipe
- Full fat milk - ½ ltr or 500ml
- Kesar or saffron -1 tsp (crushed)
- Milk powder - 2 tbsp
- Condensed milk - 200g tin or ¾ cup
- Fresh orange juice - ¾ cup
- Orange zest - ½ tsp
- Fresh cream - 250 ml (25% fat content and refrigerated)
- Icing sugar - 2 tbsp to 4 tbsp
- Ice cubes for whipping the cream
- Boil milk in a thick bottom wok on medium flame, until it starts thickening. Now reduce the flame, add milk powder, kesar. Mix well to remove any lump.
- Now add condensed milk, mix properly and allow boiling on low flame with continuously stirring until it thickens slightly.
- Cool this milk, kesar mixture completely. Add orange juice and zest, mix thoroughly.
- In the meantime, take a chilled bowl, whip the chilled fresh cream on high speed using electric hand beater. Now add icing sugar at intervals and whip again. Soft to stiff peaks are seen. Stop whipping at this point. Refrigerate until use.
- Add the cooled milk orange kesar mixture to the chilled whipped cream. Mix evenly the kulfi mixture.
- Now pour this into kulfi moulds, freeze for 1 hour. Now pierce the kulfi sticks and cover with aluminium foil. Freeze again for 8 to 10 hours or until they are set.
- Before serving, remove kulfi moulds from freezer and hold the outside of mould under running tap water for few seconds. Remove the delicious kulfi and enjoy!!
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.