Nutmeg flavored granola squares are crunchy loaded with high nutrients like carbohydrate, protein, fibre and vitamins. It helps boost energy. Granola can be served as breakfast or snacks. It also serves as topping for desserts. Granola the name originated from United States of America. It was a popular snack in America which is now well known in different parts of the world. A wide range of flavors are available. These granola can be prepared as bars or squares. It can be made more yummy with chocochips. In this recipe I have used, jaggery, dates and coconut palm sugar for sweetening and binding to make it healthier as these natural sweeteners are rich in iron content. I have flavored these squares with nutmeg powder. The flax seed meal in the recipe helps digestion. These granolas can be baked or served as it is. Baking gives crunchiness to granola squares. Creativity in adding any healthy nutrients makes it more interesting recipe. There are many recipes available on social media but this my version of adding ingredients which were available in my pantry. We loved it and it was so crunchy and delicious that you can’t resist with one square!!!
Let’s see the recipe, it’s very simple
Course: Bakes and Snacks
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
No of squares: 10
Oats-1 cup (Quaker)
Oats flour- ½ cup
Corn flakes coarsely powdered- ½ cup
Puffed rice- ½ cup
Flax seed meal – ¼ cup
Melon seeds- 2 tbsp
Dates chopped fine -2 tbsp
Almond chopped – ¼ cup
Nutmeg powder – ¾ tsp
Chocochips – ¼ cup
Coconut oil -2 tbsp
Coconut palm sugar (SPRIG) -2 tbsp
Liquid Jaggery- 3 tbsp
Salt a pinch
- Preheat the oven at 200℃ for 10 minutes.
- Spread oats, almond flakes and melon seeds evenly on parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 200℃ or until they turn crisp. Care to be taken not to burn them.
- Pour the baked oats mixture into a bowl.
- Add oats flour, flax seed meal, corn flakes powder, puffed rice, chopped dates, nutmeg powder, half of chocochips. Mix well.
- Take a small sauce pan, add coconut palm sugar, jaggery, butter, coconut oil, few choco chips. Boil on medium flame, until sugar dissolves and everything comes together.
- Add this to oats mixture, mix well.
- Prepare a baking tray by brushing with oil and lining with parchment paper. Again preheat the oven at 200℃ for 10 minutes.
- Add the granola mixture on the baking tray, press well to form uniform surface.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and cut into squares.
- Nutmeg flavored granola squares can be stored in airtight container in refrigerator for 1 week and in room temperature for 3 to 4 days.
Temperature settings depend on individual oven.
While baking plain oats and nuts, one needs to be careful, not to burn them.
Sweetness of granola squares can be adjusted as per individual taste.
Nuts and dry fruits can be varied according to individual liking.
Press hard the entire mixture in the baking tray as this helps in sticking together and holds the shape after baking.
Nutmeg powder can be replaced with any other flavor like cardamom, vanilla, citrus zest or cinnamon.