Nippattu is a traditional savory dish from Karnataka with step by step recipe is on blog. Similar to nippattu, rice crackers are also prepared in other regions of South India and called by different names like thattai.
Nippattu are spicy crunchy crackers. Every family has its own recipe but rice flour remains the main ingredient in nippattu. This is a very popular tea time snack which is also prepared during festive seasons.
Few important steps to be followed while preparing nippattu
Roasted gram and peanuts give nice crunch and flavour to nippattu. I have used roasted and de-skinned peanuts. This is optional, not a rule to use de-skinned peanuts. Crushed roasted peanuts can be added instead of powdering with other masala ingredients.
Instead of hot oil, butter can be added in dough preparation. Little oil is added, since roasted peanuts also imparts some amount of oil to the dough
Prepare stiff dough and not too soft. Do not knead the dough. The dough should be rollable and not very dry.
Small lemon sized dough can be pressed into thin crackers or dough can be rolled into big roti, mark with cutter. This makes the work easier.
The rolled nippattu should not be too thin or thick. If they are thick they puff like poori and becomes soft on cooling. Piercing with fork is optional but this ensures that they don’t puff.
Fry on medium heat, if the heat is high, the edges of nippattu become dark brown and remains uncooked in the center. Do not over load while deep frying, fry 2 or 3 of them per batch. This ensures proper cooking on all sides.
Store them in airtight container after they cool completely. Do not leave them exposed to air for long time, this makes them soft and losses crispiness.
Stepwise recipe of Nippattu
Nippattu recipe is very simple to follow. To make a coarse powder, take a mixer jar, add curry leaves, cumin, dry coconut gratings, hurigadale, roasted peanuts. Coarsely ground this mixture. Keep this aside for further use.
Next step is to mix this coarse mixture with other ingredients and form dough. Take a mixing bowl, add rice flour, chiroti rava or fine rava, maida or all purpose flour.
Add the ground coarse mixture. Add red chilli powder, asafoetida, salt. Mix well. Adjust the red chilli powder and salt as per taste.
To give crunchiness to nippattu, we have to add fat source. Now add hot refined oil, mix with fingertips to get crumbs. If you like flavour of coconut oil then it can be added here. Add little water and prepare stiff dough.
Keep the prepared dough for 15 mins. Take small balls of dough and roll into thin rotis. Now take a circular mould and prepare nippattu. Pierce with fork on each of them.
Heat any refined oil on medium heat, deep fry these until they turn golden in colour. Drain excess oil on kitchen tissue. After nippattu cools down completely, store them in airtight container.
Watch how to make
Deep fried recipes for festive season on blog
Below is the recipe
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Fine rava or chiroti rava - 2 tbsp
- Maida - 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves - 10 nos
- Cumin or jeera - ¾ tsp
- Dry coconut gratings - ¼ cup
- Fried gram or hurigadale - ¼ cup
- Roasted peanuts (deskinned) - ½ cup
- Asafoetida - ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder - 2 tsp
- Hot oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Take a mixer jar, add curry leaves, cumin, dry coconut gratings, roasted gram, roasted peanuts. Coarsely ground this mixture. Keep this aside for further use.
- Take a mixing bowl, add rice flour, fine rava, maida. Add previously ground coarse mixture. Add red chilli powder, asafoetida, salt. Mix well.
- Now add hot refined oil, mix with fingertips to get crumbs. Add little water and prepare stiff dough.
- Keep the prepared dough for 15 mins. Take small balls of dough and roll into thin rotis. Now take a circular mould and prepare nippattu. Pierce with fork on each of the nippattu.
- Heat oil on medium heat, deep fry these prepared nippattu until they turn golden in colour. Drain excess oil on kitchen tissue. After nippattu cools down completely, store them in airtight container.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.