Mixed Veg Akki Rotti – Learn to make glutenfree rice flour Indian flat bread
Mixed veg akki or rice flour rotti is a delicious breakfast recipe from state of Karnataka. Here I am updating the blog with one of my favourite breakfast with step by step video recipe. These rotti can be served even for evening snacks.
I simply adore the use of nutrition rich vegetables in this glutenfree akki rotti. Each of the ingredients I have used is rich in many nutrients. Purple cabbages and carrots is powerhouse of vitamin C and Vitamin K. Fresh coconut is rich in fat content and protein, rice flour is rich in carbohydrates. Zucchini is high in water and fibre content.
How to prepare vegetable akki roti
Akki roti recipe is the simplest and easiest recipe that requires no practice. Akki means rice, rotti is prepared using rice flour. Rice flour should be fine powder free of lumps.
Adding fresh raw vegetables makes it even more nutritious and fits well into healthy breakfast category. Any finely chopped or grated vegetables or greens of choice can be added.
The traditional akki or rice flour rotti is basically made of rice flour and water, mixed well and rotti is prepared by patting on the plantain or banana leaf. The other method is by patting the dough directly on the tawa.
If you feel the dough is dry, little water can be added. When adding vegetables and greens, always add double of these compared to rice flour. This makes the rotti soft.
These can be prepared by two ways to make them crispy or soft. Cripsy rotti is prepared without closing the lid while cooking on hot tawa. Or they can be made soft by using a lid while cooking.
Adding flavours to the rotti
Any Indian spices can be added to akki rotti like garam masala, red chilli powder or green chilies, chat masala, sambhar powder. I have added garam masala and cumin seeds to make it flavourful.
This akki roti can be served with butter, jaggery. Serving with sambhar and chutney is optional as the rotti is already flavoured with masala.
Some healthy flat bread recipes on blog are
Recipe with step by step pictures
In a bowl, add the finely chopped purple cabbage, grated carrot and zucchini. Next add coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut, cumin, garam masala with red chili powder mix, salt as per taste.
Mix well, now add rice flour and prepare the dough without water (if required little water can be added). Keep aside for 5 mintues. Take small ball of dough and pat thin on butter paper or banana leaf into circular rotti.
Heat a roti tawa, apply oil, place the akki rotti with butter paper on this and leave for few seconds. Remove the sheet immediately and cook the rotti on both the sides by applying oil. Serve hot. I have served with butter, liquid jaggery and sambhar.
Watch how to make mixed veg akki rotti recipe video
Mixed Veg Akki Rotti
- Purple cabbage (finely chopped) - 1 cup
- Carrot (finely grated) - 1 cup
- Zucchini (finely grated) - 1 cup
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped) - ½ cup
- Coconut (freshly grated) - ½ cup
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Garam masala and red chilli powder mix -2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Oil as required
- Butter, liquid jaggery and sambhar (optional)
- Take a bowl, add the finely chopped purple cabbage, finely grated carrot and zucchini.
- Next add coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut, cumin, garam masala and red chili powder mix, salt as per taste.
- Mix well, now add rice flour and prepare the dough without water. Keep aside for 5 mintues.
- Take small ball of dough and pat thin on butter paper or banana leaf into circular rotti. Heat a roti tawa, apply oil, place the akki rotti with butter paper on this and leave for few seconds.
- Remove the sheet immediately and cook the rotti on both the sides by applying oil.
- Serve hot. I served these with butter, liquid jaggery and shallot sambhar.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.