Mixed millet fudge – How to prepare easy Karnataka style siridhanya burfi
Mixed millet fudge or siridhanya burfi is a healthy and delicious festive recipe. Millets are called as siridhanya in kannada, used extensively in different dishes in Karnataka. Mixed millet fudge is prepared with mixed millet flour and edible gum or gondh. If you have sweet tooth and want to indulge in healthy way, then this is the recipe you should be looking for. This is a refined sugar free recipe instead healthy cane sugar is used.
Mixed millet flour and edible gum has high fibre content there by helps in good digestion, rich in vitamin B and many other minerals. Gondh or edible gum when used in sweets during dry and winter seasons has a warming effect on the body.
Few tips on how to perfectly prepare the mixed millet fudge
Use fresh mixed millet flour and this gives best result. If the flour is old, they turn bitter. Mixed millet flour I have used is store brought and the label says its mixture of foxtail millet, kodo millet, pearl millet, sorghum, barnyard millet, little millet, proso millet.
Fry the flour in ghee to remove the raw smell. Fry on low to medium heat otherwise the flour tend to burn.
If cane sugar is not available, normal white sugar can be added.
If you have big chunks of edible gum, break them into small pieces and then roast them.
Flavours to the fudge: add cardamom or nutmeg powder as per your taste.
Stepwise recipe of mixed millet fudge
Let’s see how to make this delicious mixed millet flour fudge.
Heat a pan, add little ghee. As the ghee heats on low heat, add edible gum or gondh and start frying until it puff up. Cool these puffed edible gum, powder it fine. Keep this aside for further use.
In the same pan, add little ghee, add mixed millet flour, fry on low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the raw smell vanishes. Cool this fried flour and mix it with powdered edible gum. It’s time to prepare sugar syrup, as such no consistency is required, add cane sugar, water and start boiling until the cane sugar melts.
To the melted cane sugar mixture, add the fried mixed millet flour with powdered edible gum mixture. Now continuously stir the mixture, add cardamom powder. Mix well. Add ghee at intervals, as the mixture starts absorbing ghee, add again. This will take around 5 minutes. The mixture starts leaving the sides of pan. Immediately switch off, pour the mixture into greased tray. Do not overcook the mixture, as the fudge cools down they become slightly hard in consistency.
After the fudge cools down, make markings and cut them into shapes. Mixed millet flour fudge is ready to be served.
Watch how to make
mixed millet fudge video
Other fudge recipes on blog which you can check and prepare during festive season
Mixed millet fudge
- Mixed millet flour - 1 cup
- Ghee - ¼ cup
- Edible gum / gondh - ½ cup
- Cane sugar - 2 cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
- Heat a pan, add 2 tsp ghee. As the ghee heats on low heat, add edible gum or gondh and start frying until it puff up.
- Cool these puffed edible gum, powder it fine. Keep this aside for further use.
- In the same pan, add 2 tsp of ghee, add mixed millet flour, fry on low heat for 3-4 minutes or until the raw smell vanishes. Cool this fried flour and mix it with powdered edible gum.
- Heat a pan, add cane sugar, water and start boiling until the cane sugar melts.
- Now add the fried mixed millet flour - powdered edible gum mixture. Continuously stir the mixture, add cardamom powder.
- Add ghee at intervals, as the mixture starts absorbing ghee, add again. This will take around 5 minutes. The mixture starts leaving the sides of pan. Immediately pour this mixture into greased tray, cool the mixture, cut into pieces. Mixed millet flour fudge is ready to be served.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.