Brookies are delicious combination of cookies and brownies. Everyone loves brownies and chocolate cookies!!! Millet brookies are healthy glutenfree bake made of millet flour, sweetened with organic jaggery. These millet based brookies are healthy snack recipe for all age groups. Millets are rich in fibre, protein, phosphorus, magnesium, other minerals, vitamin B and low in glycemic index. They help lower blood pressure and cholesterol. These brookies are soft, chewy which goes along with a cup of warm milk or a scoop of ice cream.
This glutenfree recipe was my entry to baked product display challenge at organics and millet international fair 2018 held in Bangalore, India. I am happy to mention here that my baked product won third place and was so happy to be part of this letsmillet program by Government of Karnataka. If you want to check my other millet recipes click these millet tomato dosa, millet brownies.
These are really simple to make, just follow the instructions and bake to relish these delicious brookies.
Here goes the recipe
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
No of brookies: 14 nos
Mixed millet flour -1 cup (As told by vendor this mixed millet flour is made of little millet, kodo millet, jowar, bajra, proso millet, foxtail millet and ragi)
Soft butter (Unsalted) – ½ cup
Organic jaggery powder- ½ cup
Cocoa powder- ¼ cup
Choco chips (small) – ½ cup
Baking soda- ¼ tsp
Salt a pinch
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
- Fry mixed millet flour for a minute on medium flame or until the raw smell vanishes. Cool this flour.
- Sieve together millet flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder for 4 to 5 times.
- Take a bowl, add soft butter, jaggery powder and blend or cream it together on medium speed using a hand blender. Add vanilla essence and mix once.
- Now add the flour, choco chips, and mix everything. The dough will be very sticky. Close with a cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10 minutes.
- Smear the palm with little oil, make thick cookies and keep them on parchment paper lined baking tray.
- Bake the brookies for 12 to 15 minutes at 170℃. After baking, the brookies are ready to be taken out from oven.
- Do not remove them from tray immediately, as they will be very soft. After 5 minutes, take out from tray and cool them on rack completely. They will be soft and chewy cookies.
Time and temperature settings depend on individual ovens.
Frying or dry roasting removes the raw smell from millet flour.
I had some chunks of jaggery while creaming so used electric blender otherwise creaming can be done using hand or beater.
The dough seems to be sticky, but not to worry, use a spatula to mix the dough.
Plain flour or maida brookies are baked only for 10 minutes. Here in case of millets, I have baked for longer than 10 minutes as I felt the taste was raw and uncooked for 10 minutes baking time. Do not bake for more than 15 minutes, it will dry the brookies.
The quantity of jaggery can be variable based on individual taste.