Masala raw mango drink is a traditional seasonal drink from Karnataka during summers. It is also called as mavinakayi saaru, appekayi saru. Traditionally, in many regions of western ghats of Karnataka the recipe says to use aromatic raw mangoes called appekayi. Since we don’t get them easily in Bangalore, I have used raw mangoes from friends farm. More the tanginess and aroma of mangoes, better for this kind of drinks.
This drink is a must during functions and this happens to be our family favourite too. Raw mangoes are cooked and seasoned with basic Indian spices. Something very much similar to this called aam panna is prepared during summers in North India. This recipe is very simple and can be relished during the summers with the flavours of mango.
Masala Raw Mango Drink Recipe
- Raw mango deskinned pieces – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- Ice cubes as required
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Cumin or jeera- ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 4-5 nos
- Red chilies – 2 nos
- Asafoetida or hing – ¼ tsp
- Pressure cook the deskinned raw mango pieces, jaggery and little salt.
- Cool the cooked raw mango pieces, grind this into fine paste. Keep this aside for further use.
- Heat a tadka pan on medium flame, add coconut oil, mustard seeds, sauté well. Now add cumin, fry well.
- Add curry leaves, red chillies; fry on low flame until they become crisp.
- At last add asafoetida and fry for few seconds. Cool the seasoning or tadka.
- Take a vessel, add raw mango paste, pour the seasoning on this. With fingers crush the seasoning nicely so that all the seasoning powders and blends well with the raw mango paste.
- Add required amount of water, adjust the salt and jaggery at this stage.
- Add ice cubes, mix and serve masala raw mango drink.
Adjust jaggery based on the tanginess of raw mango
Coconut oil can be replaced with any refined oil
Red chilies can be replaced with green chilies
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.