Mango Rasa or Mangrasa
Mango Rasa or Mangrasa, well the name of the dish sounds very funny. But believe me it’s very tasty and gives a kick to the taste buds. It’s deliciously tangy, spicy, sweet which makes it a must try recipe for every mango season. I learn’t this recipe from my cousin sister who hails from UttaraKannada district of Karnataka. Just few ingredients and finger licking side dish for curd rice, roti, dosa is ready. This recipe is now part of Big Basket in association with plattershare
Here is the recipe
Course: Side Dish
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Mangoes (half ripen Totapuri or Ginimoothi cultivar) – 2 nos
Grated jaggery – ¾ cup
Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
Methi seeds or fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
Jeera or cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Hing – ½ tsp
Water- ½ cup
Coconut oil or any refined oil – ½ cup
Salt to taste
- Remove the skin of mangoes and cut the pulp into small thin slices. Keep this aside for further use.
- Take a pan, add methi seeds and dry roast until you get nice aroma. Keep this aside and cool.
- To the same pan, add jeera sauté well for 1 minute. Switch off the flame and keep this aside.
- Now take the roasted methi seeds and jeera in a mixer jar and grind it into fine powder.
- Take a pan, add oil and start heating for a minute. Now add the ground powder and sauté for a minute.
- Now add hing and fry for 30 seconds. Next add mango slices and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Now add grated jaggery, red chili powder and salt to the cooked mango slices. Add water to this mixture and cook for 5 minutes until the jaggery melts.
- Cook the mixture on medium flame for 5 more minutes until it thickens to jam type consistency.
- Switch off the flame. Cool the mango rasa or mangrasa and store in air tight container
- Serve this with curd rice, dosa or chapati.
The quantity of jaggery can be adjusted depending on the sweetness of mango.
The mangoes can be grated and used in the recipe.
This can be refrigerated for one week in airtight container otherwise if stored in room temperature stays good for 3 days.