Mangalore Cucumber Chutney
Cucumbers are low calorie vegetables with high nutritional value, variable size and colour. One such cucumber is the mangalore cucumber called by many names like mangaluru southekayi or yellow cucumber or sambar cucumber. Many interesting dishes are prepared using this mangalore cucumber like sambhar, palya, chutney, dosa. This chutney serves as a side dish with combination of spiciness and sweetness. It is karnataka’s south canara recipe which I learn’t from my mother-in-law. This serves as a good side dish for any breakfast variety like dosa, idli, paddu or it goes well with steamed rice also. It takes very less time and easy to prepare.
Here goes the recipe
Course: Side Dish
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Mangalore cucumber chopped – 1 cup (deskinned and without the inner core seeds)
Grated coconut – ½ cup
Urd dal – 1 tsp
Red chilies – 4-5 nos (depending on the spicyness)
Grated jaggery- 1 tsp
Tamarind paste – 1 tsp
Water as required
Salt to taste
Coconut oil or any refined oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 4-5
Hing or asafoetida – a pinch
Red chili- 1
- Take a pan; add little oil, when the oil is hot enough add urd dal and sauté well until they become light golden.
- Now add red chilies to the same pan and fry for a minute on medium flame.
- Cool the fried mixture for further grinding.
- Now take a mixer jar and add the cooled fried mixture, cucumber cubes without skin, grated coconut, tamarind paste, grated jaggery and salt. Add water and grind this into fine paste and keep in a bowl for seasoning.
- Now heat oil in a small pan. To this add mustard seeds, sauté well for few seconds.
- Now add red chili and curry leaves, sauté well for a minute.
- Add hing at last and fry for few seconds. Switch off the flame and pour this on the cucumber chutney.
- This can be served as side dish for dosa, idli, paddu or rice.
Deskin the cucumber and remove the inner core and seeds for this chutney
Frying individual ingredients gives nice aroma.
If you want to store the chutney for two days, the ground chutney paste can be cooked well in small pan with little oil for 2 minutes or until it slightly thickens. This can be cooled, stored in air tight container.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.