Mambazha Pulissery or Mango Majjige Huli
Mambazha Pulissery or Mango Majjige Huli is a traditional dish of Kerala. It is served in Onam sadya menu. It is prepared using ripe mangoes, curd and fresh coconut. The authentic taste is given by seasoning with coconut oil. In the regions of coastal Karnataka we call curd or yogurt based spicy curry as majjige huli using different veggies. I got to know about this curry from a Keralite friend. It is very simple preparation but very delicious.
Here is the recipe
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Serves: 2 Nos
Finely chopped ripe mango cubes- 1 cup
Grated fresh coconut – ½ cup
Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
Green chilli – 1 no
Roasted jeera- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Thick curd – ¾ cup
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Red chilli – 1 no
Curry leaves- 6-8 no
Hing- ½ tsp
Salt to taste
- Grind together roasted jeera, grated fresh coconut and green chilli into fine paste.
- Take a non-stick pan, add little oil, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, mango cubes, little water and cook on medium flame until they become soft.
- To this add ground paste, curd, cook on medium flame until we get nice aroma.
- For seasoning, heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds, sauté well. To this add hing, curry leaves, red chilli and sauté well.
- Mix well; the curry is ready to be served hot with rice.
Any mango variety can be used for the preparation of curry.
In coastal Karnataka to prepare majjige huli, we add little soaked rice or rice flour during grinding to get a thick consistency.