Mixed vegetable sagu recipe is a household name in most of the houses of Karnataka. This is a glutenfree and vegan recipe with use of freshly grated coconut. It is healthy mildly flavored and easy to prepare. Well there are different ways of preparing this sagu. Every family has its own method of preparation. This recipe is something which we having been following since many years in my house.
The assorted vegetables are cooked in aromatic flavored ground masala. The veggies I have used are french beans, carrot, potato, peas, other veggies like knol knol or cauliflower can also be added. The use of poppy seeds is a must in this gravy which gives nice creamy thickness and aroma. In fact we love this taste a lot. This vegetable sagu is relished with poori, dosa, idly, appam. We also prepare a slightly different version that is using mainly coriander and mint leaves in masala to get a green vegetable sagu. There are many gravy recipes on blog, click for the detailed recipe.
Recipe with ingredients and step by step procedure is given below.
Karnataka Style Mixed Vegetable Sagu Recipe
- Coconut - ¾ cup
- Garlic - 4-5 pods
- Ginger pieces - 1 tsp
- Green chilies - 3-4 nos
- Poppy seeds - 2 tbsp soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Cinnamon sticks -1 medium sized
- Green cardamom or yelakki - 2 pods
- Cloves - 2
- Mixed vegetable pieces - 2 cups carrot, french beans, peas, potato are pressure cooked
- Onion - 1 medium finely chopped
- Tomato - 1 small finely chopped
- Refined oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Bay leaf -1
- Salt as per taste
- Tamarind paste - 1 tsp
- Jaggery powder - ½ tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp chopped
- Water as required
- For sagu masala: Take a mixer jar, make fine paste of coconut, garlic, ginger, green chillies, poppy seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves with sufficient water. Keep this aside.
- Take a thick bottomed wok, heat oil, add mustard seeds, bay leaf saute well. Now add chopped onion and tomato, sauté well.
- When onion and tomato mixture gets cooked, add the ground sagu masala paste, sauté for a minute.
- Add vegetables, tamarind paste, salt, jaggery powder as per taste and add required quantity of water for thickness. Simmer until the sagu thickens or boil for 2 minutes with stirring. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Quick and delicious Karnataka style mixed vegetable sagu or curry is ready to be served with poori, chapati, appam, dosa.
Soaked poppy seeds helps in preparing a fine paste. The other method is by dry roasting poppy seeds instead of soaking them.
Adjust salt, jaggery and tamarind paste as per taste.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.