Jackfruit seed in mustard white sauce a fusion recipe is a delicious starter and wholesome meal by itself. This is a glutenfree recipe. Jackfruit seeds or halasinabeeja as we call in kannada are healthy and are used in many dishes. They are eaten as source of vitamins, fibre and protein. They do provide instant energy. So why throw them when there are so many positive health benefits. I use them in salad with ranch dressing prepared with cream and buttermilk. This is one more recipe of using jackseed in a healthy and delicious way.
Everyone is very much familiar with white sauce commonly used in most of the Italian and French dishes (also known by its name Bechamel sauce). It is prepared mainly with butter, flour and milk. Here in this recipe I have tried to infuse the flavors of mainly mustard seeds, garlic and finally dunked the cooked jackfruit seeds. The preferred serving option is when the sauce is hot. We all loved it and served it with dinner. Since the jackfruit season is almost over in this part of the country, dry and freeze the seeds to use them during off-season.
Step wise recipe is given below
Jackfruit Seeds In Mustard White Sauce Recipe
- Jackfruit seeds pieces deskinned and crushed -1 cup
- Milk -1 ¼ cup
- Corn flour- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Shallots or pearl onion- 3-4 crushed
- Garlic - 8 to 10 pods crushed
- Butter -1 tbsp
- Refined oil - 1 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Cook the jackfruit seeds with water and little salt. After they become soft, switch off and keep this aside.
- Heat a small tadka pan, add oil, add mustard seeds and saute well for a minute on low flame.
- Now add crushed garlic and shallots. Fry well until you get nice aroma. Keep this aside.
- Heat a pan add butter, on low flame fry corn flour; now add milk slowly with continuous stirring. Mix properly and remove any lumps. Cook for two minutes on medium flame and thickness can be adjusted with little water.
- Now add the fried mustard seeds and garlic mixture, again mix on medium flame, until everything is well combined.
- Now add pepper powder and salt as per taste. Mix well.
- At the end add cooked jackfruit seeds. Mix well, cook for few seconds on low flame and serve hot.
Since this is a glutenfree recipe, I have used corn flour. Even all purpose flour or wheat flour can be used for thickening but it doesn't remain glutenfree.
If shallots are not available, red onions can be used.
Olive oil can be used instead of refined oil.
Note that on cooling the sauce would thicken so the consistency should be maintained.
This can be made vegan too by using almond milk or soya milk or coconut milk.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.