Jackfruit Seed Methi Curry Recipe – Learn to prepare vegan and glutenfree jackfruit seed methi curry
Jackfruit seed methi curry recipe is a delicious and healthy curry. The recipe is vegan and glutenfree. Jackfruits are largest fruit in plant kingdom. Many delicious traditional dishes are prepared using ripe jackfruits. Usually the pulp is used and seeds are thrown away. But these jackfruit seeds are healthy and have many culinary uses.
Jackfruit seeds are rich in thiamin and riboflavin. They are protein and iron rich seeds, loaded with micro nutrients and provide instant energy. It is an excellent source of fiber. These jackfruit seeds can be sundried, frozen and used when required during offseason. It’s a no onion no garlic dish.
I have paired methi leaves with jackfruit seeds which gives a distinct flavor to the curry. I have used fresh coconut and cashew to get the desired thickness.
How to prepare jackfruit seed methi curry
Here is the recipe of simple yet tasty curry from a healthy jackfruit seed. Sundried jackfruit seeds are used. The outer skin is removed and seeds are crushed. These are pressure cooked and used in curry.
To prepare the masala for curry, make a fine paste of grated coconut, tomato, ginger, asafoetida, green chili, soaked cashew. Keep this aside for further use.
Methi leaves are sauted in little oil and used later. In a medium sized pan, oil is heated, mustard seeds are sauted. Ground masala paste is added to the pan and fried well. Cumin powder, fennel powder, garam masala, turmeric powder are added and mixed well.
Salt as per taste, fried methi leaves are added, mix well. Add the cooked jackfruit pieces and water as required to adjust the consistency. Cook until the curry thickens and jackfruit seeds absorb the masala. Finally add lemon juice, mix well. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread.
Watch how to make
jackfruit seed methi curry video
If you wish to try other recipes using jackfruit seeds click here
Jackfruit Seed Methi Curry Recipe
- Coconut grating - ½ cup
- Tomato – ½ cup
- Ginger pieces - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or hing - ½ tsp
- Green chili - 2 nos
- Cashewnuts (soaked) -2 tbsp
- Jackfruit seed pieces (deskinned and pressure cooked) - 1 cup
- Methi leaves - ½ cup
- Refined oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Fennel or saunf powder - ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Water as required
- Take a mixer jar, grind grated coconut, tomato, ginger, asafoetida, green chili, soaked cashew. Make a fine paste and keep aside.
- Fry the methi leaves in very little oil for a minute on low heat and keep this aside for further use.
- Heat a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, saute well.
- Add ground paste, nicely fry the mixture.
- Add cumin powder, fennel powder, garam masala mix well.
- Add turmeric powder, salt as per taste, fried methi leaves. Mix well
- Next add the pressure cooked jackfruit seeds, water as required, cook until the curry thickens and jackfruit seeds absorb the masala.
- Add lemon juice, mix well. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.