Jackfruit seed methi or fenugreek leaves curry recipe is a delicious and healthy curry. The recipe is vegan and glutenfree. It’s a no onion no garlic dish. Jackfruits are largest fruit in plant kingdom. Many delicious traditional dishes are prepared using ripe jackfruits. Usually the pulp is used and seeds are thrown away. But these jackfruit seeds are healthy and have many culinary uses. In kannada we call this as halasina beeja. Jackfruit seeds are rich in thiamin and riboflavin. They are protein and iron rich seeds, loaded with micro nutrients and provide instant energy. It is an excellent source of fiber. These jackfruit seeds can be sundried, frozen and used when required during offseason.
I have paired methi or fenugreek leaves with jackfruit seeds which gives a distinct flavor to the curry. This side dish can be prepared during vrat. I have used fresh coconut and cashew to get the desired thickness. I have served it with chapati, but it can be served with rice or any glutenfree flat breads.
Here is the recipe of simple yet tasty curry from a healthy jackfruit seed.
Jackfruit Seed Methi Curry Recipe
- Jackfruit seed pieces (deskinned and pressure cooked) - 1 cup
- Methi or fenugreek leaves - ½ cup
- Refined oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Cumin powder - ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Saunf or fennel powder - ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- For masala
- Coconut grating - ½ cup
- Tomato - 1 big
- Ginger pieces - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or hing - ½ tsp
- Green chili - 2 nos
- Cashew nuts soaked -2 tbsp
- Water as required
- Take a mixer jar, grind grated coconut, tomato, ginger, asafoetida, green chili, soaked cashew. Make a fine paste and keep aside.
- Take a pan, add oil, mustard seeds, saute well. Add methi leaves and saute.
- Add ground paste, nicely fry the mixture.
- Add cumin powder, garam masala, saunf powder, mix well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, pressure cooked jackfruit seeds.
- Add required quantity of water, cook until the curry thickens and jackfruit seeds absorb the masala.
- Add lemon juice, mix well. Serve hot with any Indian flat bread which can be even glutenfree.
For thickening of curry, soaked melon seeds can be used instead of cashew nuts.Dried or fresh jackfruit seeds can be used. Outer white skin of jackfruit seeds can be removed by crushing the seeds.