Instant Pot Rasam Rice is a south Indian style rice, quick and easy one pot meal made in Instant pot. A detailed recipe below with step-by-step photos and video is posted. Vegan and glutenfree rice dish.
Cooking this rice using an Instant Pot or pressure cooker makes it much easier for the family during busy weeknights, mess free day. This food of South India is our family favorite.
Check a quick video of how to cook rasam rice in instant pot in the recipe card and try this in your kitchen. If you have enjoyed the video do subscribe to Dice n Cook Youtube channel for more food videos.
About the recipe
Rasam rice is a popular style instant South Indian food meal preparation. Traditionally we prepare, serve rasam and rice separately. This rasam rice is South Indian recipe served in most of houses of South of India.
This rasam sadam can be prepared in Instant pot. This instant pot rasam rice is a one pot meal, wholesome and can be made easily in your kitchen.
This rice tastes the best when prepared with freshly made rasam powder. The recipe of rasam powder is given here. If you don’t make it at home, or running late, then use store bought ones.
Udupi style rasam powder is mainly prepared by roasting methi seeds, coriander seeds, cumin and red chilies in coconut oil.
In Instant pot rasam rice, we cook all the ingredients in one pot and do the seasoning with coconut oil. We don’t use any vegetables except tomatoes as this is not bisi bele bath or pulao, it’s purely tomato rasam rice.
Why will you like this recipe?
It is a perfect healthy vegan meal.
Vegan and glutenfree rice dish.
Quick and easy rice recipe
Protein rich meal
Plant based diet food.
A perfect meatless Monday dinner plan.
Perfect weekday meal
Vegetarian rice recipe
Kids friendly lunchbox rice
Hope you enjoy making this quick easy rasam rice in Instant pot. Here are few Instant pot recipes you might like to try
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 6 Quart is used to cook this rice recipe.
Fry Pan is used to make seasoning.
Coconut oil – I have used coconut oil as we like the aroma of this oil in rasam and this also gives an authentic taste to rasam rice.
Tomato pieces – We can use any tomato variety. Finely chopped tomato pieces are used. I have used tangy tomatoes in this recipe.
Tamarind paste – This gives a tangy flavor to the rice. Either homemade or store brought tamarind paste can be used. For homemade tamarind paste, soak tamarind in water for 1 to 2 hours. Squeeze out tamarind and remove tamarind extract.
Turmeric powder – I have used homemade turmeric powder, gives a vibrant earthy flavor to the rice.
Jaggery powder – Powdered jaggery is used to balance spiciness.
Rasam powder – Fresh homemade rasam powder is used for the best aroma, I have used rasam powder prepared in Udupi style. Check the recipe here for rasam powder.
Rice and dal – I have used sona masuri rice, these are short grain rice. Rinse well in water to get rid of starch. Soaking in water helps with better cooking. Usually, long grains rice is not used for this recipe. Togaribele or toor dal – These lentils are soaked in water for easy cooking and help in best absorption of nutrients.
Water – Rice to water ratio is important, in this recipe we intend to make a creamy textured rasam rice, so we must add more water compared to other rice dish like pulao or biryani.
Salt – Its added to balance the flavors in rice.
Seasoning – For seasoning, we use coconut oil, spices like mustard seeds, cumin. Curry leaves or karibevu is used for earthy aroma. Garlic pods roasted in coconut oil, they give a pungent spicy flavor to the rasam rice.
How to make rasam rice in Instant pot
Soaking rice and lentils:
Take rice and lentil separately in a bowl or into same bowl. Wash them 3 to 4 times nicely.
Add water until they are soaked well for an hour. Keep it aside. Soaking dal and rice, makes them soft and both cook at same time.
Cooking rasam rice in Instant pot:
Switch on the instant pot, SET to SAUTE MODE until it heats.
Add coconut oil, tomato pieces, tamarind paste, salt as per taste. Fry well and add turmeric powder.
Add jaggery powder and rasam powder. Fry well until it becomes mushy.
Drain water from soaked rice and toor dal, add them to the inner pot. Mix once and add water for cooking. Deglaze or mix everything so that they don’t stick to bottom while cooking.
Put the lid and close the valve, set to PRESSURE COOK mode, under high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick pressure release (QPR) after 5 minutes.
Open the lid, after pressure valve releases completely.
Seasoning rasam rice:
After removing the lnstant pot lid we can make it some more flavorful by adding coconut oil seasoning.
To make the seasoning, heat coconut oil in a tadka pan. Add garlic pods, fry them well until it becomes slightly golden in colour.
Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry well until they become crisp.
Pour the coconut oil seasoning on rasam rice and mix well before serving.
Instant pot rasam rice is a complete meal by itself. Its one pot meal served as main meal.
It can be served hot with side of salad and yogurt.
Some papad and fryums will accompany this Instant pot rasam rice.
Rasam rice can be prepared in advance and stored for 4 to 5 hours at room temperature. However, taste and texture changes as it cools down. So before serving a little hot water can be added and mixed by reheating.
Instant Pot Rasam Rice
- InstantPot Duo 7-in-1 6 Quart
- frying pan
Soaking rice and lentils:
- Take rice and lentil separately in a bowl or into same bowl. Wash them 3 to 4 times nicely.
- Add water until they are soaked well for an hour. Keep it aside. Soaking dal and rice, makes them soft and both cook at same time.
Cooking in Instant pot:
- Switch on the instant pot, SET to SAUTE MODE until it heats.
- Add coconut oil, tomato pieces, tamarind paste, salt as per taste. Fry well and add turmeric powder. Add jaggery powder and rasam powder. Fry well until it becomes mushy.
- Drain water from soaked rice and toor dal, add them to the inner pot. Mix once and add water for cooking. Deglaze or mix everything so that they don’t stick to bottom while cooking.
- Put the lid and close the valve, set to PRESSURE COOK mode, under high pressure for 15 minutes. Quick pressure release (QRP) after 5 minutes.
- Open the lid, after pressure valve releases completely.
Seasoning rasam rice:
- After removing the lnstant pot lid we can make it some more flavorful by adding coconut oil seasoning.
- To make the seasoning, heat coconut oil in a tadka pan. Add garlic pods, fry them well until it becomes slightly golden in colour.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Fry well until they become crisp.
- Pour the coconut oil seasoning on rasam rice and mix well before serving.
- Instant pot rasam rice is a complete meal by itself. Its one pot meal served as main meal.
- It can be served hot with side of salad and yogurt.
- Some papad and fryums will accompany this Instant pot rice.
- Rasam rice can be prepared in advance and stored for 4 to 5 hours at room temperature. However, taste and texture changes as it cools down. So before serving a little hot water can be added and mixed by reheating.
Tips for making one-pot rasam rice
Soaking rice and lentils for 2 to 3 hours is important. It helps in perfect cooking to get perfect texture.
Adjust salt, jaggery powder and tamarind paste as per your taste.
Rasam powder quantity depends on the spiciness, so adjust as per your taste.
Onion : The traditional rasam rice recipe doesn’t use onion, however if you can add few crunchy roasted onion slices as topping.
Coriander leaves: Finely chopped coriander leaves can be added as topping.
Rice variety: Sona masuri rice is used in this rice recipe. However, if you don’t find this variety in your part of the world, any variety can be used.
Asafoetida: Garlic pods can be replaced with asafoetida in coconut oil seasoning. This gives an earthy flavor to rice.
Lentils: Moong dal can be used instead of toor dal, however taste and texture changes. A mixture of equal proportion of lentils can also be used. Moong dal, masoor dal, toor dal works great for this recipe.
Dump and cook method: In this method, first make a seasoning with coconut oil. Later dump in all the ingredients along with water. Deglaze the mixture and cook on high pressure.
Quinoa or millets can be used: Rice can be replaced with quinoa or millets. Add water as required for cooking quinoa or millets.
Refined oil: Coconut oil can be replaced with any oil of your choice. The flavor and aroma changes when we use other oil.
Frequently asked questions
Can we skip lentils in rasam rice?
We can reduce the quantity of lentils however skipping it completely is not recommended, as these are required for texture and taste of rasam rice.
How to cook rasam rice in pressure cooker?
- Heat pressure cooker pan, add oil, tomato pieces and salt. Also add turmeric powder, jaggery powder and rasam powder. Fry them well.
- Add rice and toor dal / togaribele by draining soaked water. Add water as required.
- Close the cooker lid and pressure cook for three whistles.
- Allow complete release of pressure and remove lid. Mix everything and make coconut oil seasoning with garlic pods, mustard seeds, cumin and curry leaves.
Can we refrigerate rasam rice?
I do not prefer to refrigerate rice, always like serving fresh and hot. However, if you have some leftovers, can be refrigerated and heated before serving it.
Can we freeze leftover rice?
No, we cannot freeze rice as the texture changes once thawed. So, it’s better recommended not to freeze.
Can you make this dish in advance?
You can make in advance for about an hour and serve it later.
What if rasam rice thickens after cooling?
When dal is used, it soaks up water on cooling and thickens. You can always add hot water, mix and check for desired consistency.
Why do we rinse and soak rice in water?
Rinsing removes excess starch and dust from rice. Soaking helps in proper cooking.
Pavithra M Adiga
I am a passionate foodie and food photographer with love to document easy, simple to follow, healthy vegetarian recipes in Dice n Cook.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.
If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me
If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below