Horlicks burfi / fudge recipe – How to make a quick milk powder burfi
Horlicks burfi or fudge is one of the easiest recipes, a perfect treat for any special occasion. This is a gluten free recipe prepared with very less ingredients. Milk powder, butter, sugar are the key ingredients with chocolate flavoured horlicks powder. This recipe is always a keeper and has never failed to impress my family guests. Many kinds of burfi or fudge are prepared during Indian festivals. I prepared this on the occasion of my kid’s birthday and second blog anniversary. This occasion was no less than any festival for me. So this treats for my family!!
Now let’s see how I prepared horlicks burfi /fudge
How to prepare soft textured milk powder horlicks burfi?
Sugar syrup with single thread consistency is the key to get the desired texture. The usual method I follow is. Firstly I add less water while preparing the syrup, this takes less time for syrup formation.
Secondly as the sugar dissolves, it starts bubbling within 10 minutes. Now check the consistency by touching the syrup with wet index finger and thumb. A single thread can be seen between the finger tips. This syrup will lend you a perfect not too soft or too hard burfi.
This recipe really needs to be very quick, if you tend to be slow in mixing, the mixture tends to get lumpy and the texture of fudge changes. So quickly mix everything.
If the sugar syrup is not single consistency the fudge becomes very soft and you cannot get perfect squares. The vice versa of this if the sugar syrup is two or double string consistency then the fudge becomes very hard.
How to get perfect squared fudge?
Always cut or mark the mixture when they are hot or warm to perfect squares. If you fail to do so the edges tend to break and a perfect beautifully looking squares are missed.
Variations in flavors!
This fudge recipe is one such sweet which can be varied with many flavours. I have tried with dark chocolate, chocochips, white chocolate and saffron or kesar.
In case of adding chocolate, grate the dark or white chocolate and mix with milk powder. Next continue the same steps as described below.
While using chocochips or small pieces of dark chocolate, white chocolate, add this at the end when you are mixing the plain milk powder, these results in few crunchy half melted pieces of chocochips in every bite.
Similarly when adding saffron or kesar flavor to the fudge, add saffron strands to the single thread consistency sugar syrup, mix thoroughly with butter and then proceed as described below.
If you are interested in other burfi or fudge recipes, check the links below
Horlicks burfi / fudge recipe
- Milk powder - 1 cup
- Horlicks powder (chocolate flavor) – ½ cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - ½ cup
- Butter - 2 ½ tbsp
- Almond flakes - 2 tbsp
- Sieve together milk powder and horlicks powder. If any lumps in horlicks powders is seen then grind them and use it. Keep this mixture aside for further use.
- Take a thick bottom wok, heat sugar and water on medium flame, with continuous stirring. Sugar dissolves completely and it starts forming syrup.
- When the syrup reaches single thread consistency (check the thread formation by seeing the thin thread formation between index finger and thumb) switch off the flame.
- Now quickly add butter and mix vigorously to dissolve. Next add milk powder and horlicks powder mixture to the above. Mix everything quickly to make it lump free.
- Pour this into ghee greased tray or baking tray, spread the mixture evenly and sprinkle the almond flakes on top, press them lightly.
- Make the markings when the burfi is still hot. After its cool or completely cooled, cut them into squares, carefully remove the horlicks fudge or burfi pieces. Store them in airtight containers and enjoy with family and friends!
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback.
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.