Hara bara veg pulao – how to make green veg rice
Hara bara veg pulao or green vegetable pulao with step by step photos and video recipe. This is a mildly flavoured delicious rice dish. This can prepared for lunch box. This is a healthy way of including greens and vegetables for the kids. It is an easy one pot meal recipe
In this recipe we do not add any masala powder, it is only whole spices and ground paste of Indian herbs and grated coconut. In this recipe, I have added green beans, methi leaves, green chana or fresh green chickpeas and herbs include mint leaves and coriander leaves. Green peas can be a good substitute for fresh green chana during off season. This is a gluten free and vegan recipe.
Important steps while preparing hara bara veg pulao
Some important steps to get a perfect cooked pulao
Long grain basmati rice gives perfect textured cooked rice. Sona masuri rice can also be used for cooking hara bara veg pulao.
Soak rice for 30 to 40 minutes. Pre-soaked rice requires less water while cooking and the grains cook well. Always add water and rice in the ratio of 2:1 to ensure proper cooking, do not add more water, otherwise rice become sticky.
The amount of whole spices, green chilies and herbs can be adjusted as per taste
Whole spices must be fried on medium heat to avoid burning.
Serving options: hara bara pulao can be served with cucumber and onion raita.
Here is how this hara bara pulao or green veg pulao is prepared
I hope you will try this delicious one pot meal and enjoy it!!
Detailed recipe of hara bara veg pulao
Basmati rice is soaked in water for 30 to 40 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove water and keep aside for further use.
Let’s make the masala for hara bara pulao. For ground masala, make a fine paste of coconut gratings, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilies, cinnamon sticks, onion. Keep this aside. Adjust green chilli as per taste of individual.
Heat a pressure cooker pan on medium heat, add oil, sauté mustard seeds and add all the whole spices. Fry well until you get nice aroma. Add cashew nuts, fry well till they are golden.
Now add finely chopped onion and fry till they become golden. Next add chopped tomato, saute till it becomes mushy.
Add ginger garlic paste, fry well on medium heat. Next add methi leaves and fry well to remove raw smell. Add the ground masala paste and fry well until raw smell vanishes.
Add finely chopped green beans and green chana / hara chana. Fry well with masala and add required amount of water (water and rice in 2:1 ratio). Add soaked basamati rice, salt, lemon juice and bring it to boil.
Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Switch off and let the pressure release naturally. Mix gently, serve hot hara bara veg pulao or green vegetable rice with any raita of choice.
Watch the Hara bara
For more rice recipes click here
Hara bara veg pulao or green veg pulao
- Coconut gratings – ½ cup
- Mint or pudina leaves - ¼ cup
- Coriander leaves – ¼ cup
- Green chillies – 2 nos
- Cinnamom stick – 1 ½ inch
- Onion – 2 tbsp
- Basamati rice -1 ½ cup (soaked in water)
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Bay leaves – 3 nos
- Star Anise – 1no
- Green cardamom – 3 nos
- Black cardamom - 1 no
- Dried Kapok bud - 1 no
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Mace flower – 1 no
- Cashew nuts – 15-20 nos
- Onion (chopped) - ½ cup
- Tomato (chopped) - 1 nos
- Ginger garlic paste - 1tsp
- Methi leaves -1 cup
- Green beans – 1 cup
- Green chana or fresh green chickpeas - 1 cup
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Water as required
- For masala, make a fine paste of coconut gratings, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilli, cinnamon stick, onion. Keep this aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker pan, add oil, sauté mustard seeds, add all the whole spices. Fry well. Add cashew, fry well till they are golden.
- Add onion and fry till they become golden, add tomato, saute till it becomes mushy. Add ginger garlic paste, fry well. Add methi leaves and fry well.
- Add the ground paste and fry well until raw smell vanishes. Add green beans and green chana / hara chana.
- Fry well with the masala and add required quantity of water (water and rice in 2:1 ratio). Add soaked basamati rice, salt, lemon juice and bring it to boil.
- Close the lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Switch off and let the pressure release naturally. Mix gently, serve hot hara bara veg pulao or green vegetable rice with any raita of choice.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.