Eggless Cheese Crackers
Cheese crackers are so healthy; firstly homemade knowing the exact ingredients makes it healthier. Secondly they are protein and calcium rich with cheese, butter, milk and finally made of whole wheat flour. My kids loved these cheese crackers. I have used Sprig Genoa spice mix a medley of Italian herbs and spices giving the true burst of Italian flavors. It’s a multipurpose blend of spices. It can be used for grilling, frying, roasting, stewing, steaming, braise, barbecue. I have used in baking and believe me its giving a nice flavor to the crackers.
They are not so crispy ones like the store brought cheese crackers and I baked it for long time to give a crisp factor but see to it that you don’t burn them. It is so simple and very few ingredients required.
Here goes the recipe
Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
No of crackers – 15
Whole wheat flour- ¾ cup
Cheddar cheese (shredded) – ¾ cup
Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
Powdered sugar -2 tbsp
Red chili flakes – 1 tsp
SPRIG Genoa multipurpose spice blend-1 tbsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Little milk for dough preparation
- Sieve together whole wheat flour and salt.
- Take a bowl, add butter, powdered sugar and shredded cheese.
- Mix well using electric blender on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Now add spice blend and red chili flakes, mix again. Now add flour to the creamed cheese and butter mixture.
- Prepare dough using one teaspoon of milk and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10 minutes. Now roll out the dough into thin sheets between two parchment papers. Cut into squares and pierce using fork.
- Place these cheese squares on baking tray and bake in preheated oven at 180℃ for 20 minutes or until the bottom turns slightly golden.
- After 20 minutes, cool on wire rack and once they are cool store them in airtight containers.
Using milk is optional, it can be skipped and dough can be prepared. If milk is used very little at a time should be added.
Instead of SPRIG spice mix, we can use Italian oregano spices.
If using salted butter then skip salt in the dough.