Eggless Black and White Forest Sandwich Cake
Baking a frosted cake at home is highly satisfactory than store brought ones, though I prefer plain teatime cakes a lot… Mother of twins is not an easy job round the clock and preparing everything in double is routine these days. This eggless black and white forest sandwich cake was prepared for my kid’s birthday. Happy kidoos and happy me!!!
The cake is prepared using combination of dark and white chocolate cake, whipping cream and cherries. Trust me the method is simple but time consuming with loads of patience. But it’s worth a try as it was very delicious and melts in mouth.
The best part of this bake is: dark chocolate cake is made completely with whole wheat flour and white chocolate cake is made partly with whole wheat flour.
So let’s see the detailed recipe
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 4 hours
Dark chocolate cake
Whole wheat flour-1 ¼ cup
Cocoa powder- ¼ cup
Buttermilk-1 cup (freshly prepared)
Powdered sugar- ¾ cup
Baking powder- 1 tsp
Baking soda- ½ tsp
Vanilla essence-1 tsp
Oil- ½ cup
- Sieve together wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder for 8-10 times.
- Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10 mins.
- Take buttermilk and sugar, whisk well. Add baking soda, mix and leave for 4 to 5 mins or until you see froth formation.
- Now add vanilla essence, oil, mix well. Add the dry ingredients and gently mix to get lump free batter.
- Pour into 8″ greased round tin and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 mins. After 30 mins, remove from oven, cool on wire rack and wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate until frosting.
White chocolate cake
I have followed the recipe from www.gayathriscookspot.com replaced partly with whole wheat flour
Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
Maida flour- ⅔ cup
Grated White Chocolate – 100 gm or 1 cup
Baking Soda – ½ tsp
Baking Powder- ¾ tsp
Oil- 125 gm or slightly more than 1/2 cup
Sugar – ⅓ cup
Water- ½ cup
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Curd / Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- In a bowl add white chocolate gratings, water, sugar, oil and mix well. Heat the mixture on low flame until the chocolate melts.
- Allow the mixture to cool until it is just warm to handle.
- Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10 mins.
- In the meantime, sieve the flour, baking soda and baking powder for 8-10 times.
- Take a big mixing bowl; add the flour mixture, warm chocolate mixture, vanilla essence, curd. Fold gently to get lump free batter.
- Pour the batter into greased 8” tin and bake in preheated oven for 30 mins or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack and wrap two layers of cling wrap and refrigerate until use.
For dark chocolate collar
Dark chocolate gratings – ½ cup
- Cut the parchment paper along the circumference of cake measuring the height of cake.
- Melt dark chocolate on double boiler and after it cools slightly pour this into piping back and keep aside for collar preparation.
- Place the parchment paper on a clean working slab.
- Pipe out the melted chocolate in slant wise direction on the parchment paper. Allow it to cool for some time and chocolate collar is ready.
For sugar syrup:
Sugar – 1 cup
Boil water and sugar for 5 mins on high flame until sugar melts to get the syrup. Cool this and keep aside for soaking the cake.
Amul fresh cream- 600ml
Vanilla pudding powder – 1 tbsp
Icing Sugar – ½ cup
- Add fresh cream (without whey) to chilled vessel, whisk for 4 mins using electric beater.
- Add half of icing sugar, vanilla pudding powder and whip again at high speed until thickness is formed.
- Now add remaining icing sugar and whip again to get stiff peaks. Refrigerate the cream for half hour.
Assembling the dark and white chocolate cake:
- Remove the cling wrap from the refrigerated dark chocolate cake and slice the cake into two halves.
- Now place one half of the dark chocolate cake at the bottom, apply the sugar syrup generously.
- Now apply the frosting cream on the first layer, place the sliced cherries.
- Now keep the white chocolate cake on the dark chocolate layer and repeat the steps 2 and 3.
- Now finally keep the dark chocolate cake layer and do the crumb coating of whipped cream.
- Refrigerate this for 30 mins. Now apply second layer of whipped cream coating and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Now stick the dark chocolate collar to the sides of the cake and further finish the cake decoration with whipped cream and cherries.
Temperature and time settings vary with individual oven.
Sieving the dry ingredients for 8-10 times is important step to create good aeration and to get spongy texture. The measurement of ingredients is for single cake.
The dark and white sponge cake can be prepared a day before and then next day the frosting can be made.
Before whipping, the cream should be refrigerated along with whipping rods and vessel to get the stiff peaks.