Eggless Avocado Brownies
Avocado is also called as alligator pear in Mexico or butter fruit in many parts of India and has many health benefits. Avocado fruit is low in sugar, high in fibre. They are high in calories. They contain high amount of fat therefore form a very good substitute for fat content in healthy bakes. They contain more of monounsaturated fat which helps lower bad cholesterol. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals. They are good source of vitamin B helping in fight infection. Avocado pulp is used in bakes, dips, milkshakes, salads, pasta. They are usually stored at room temperature and ripen within 4 to 5 days with change in outer skin from green to slightly brown. Avocado brownies are made healthy with whole wheat flour, brown sugar and with no butter. It’s eggless too.
I had few avocado which had got it from Yercaud, Tamil Nadu. It was the first time I am experimenting with this fruit. So wanted to try few dishes and here is easy peasy recipe with yummy outcome.
Here goes the recipe
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Avocado puree – ½ cup
Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
Powdered brown sugar – ½ cup
Vanilla essence -1 tsp
Hot water – ½ cup
Odourless oil – ¼ cup
Chocolate chips – 2 tbsp (coated with flour)
Baking soda – ¾ tsp
Cocoa powder – ¼ cup
- Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the baking tin by applying oil and placing the parchment paper with little hanging on sides.
- Sieve together all the dry ingredients like flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, powdered sugar. Keep this aside.
- Take a bowl, add avocado puree, oil and mix well until combined.
- Now add hot water to this mixture, mix well.
- Now add vanilla essence and mix well.
- Take sieved dry ingredients in another bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix gently to get lump free batter.
- Pour this brownie batter into dusted baking tin (6 inch). Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the surface and tap the baking tray gently once on working table to release the air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170℃ for 25-30 minutes. After 30 minutes, check with the toothpick to get it clear or few crumbs sticking.
- Switch off the oven and keep the baking tin for 2 minutes inside. Then remove it from oven and cool completely before slicing.
- These brownies can be served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Use ripe avocado for puree and do not add water while grinding.
Settings of temperature and time depend on individual’s oven.
The time of baking depends on individual liking of having the brownie dry or fudgy. If baked for long time it becomes dry and for less time it becomes fudgy.
Avocado brownies can be stored for 2 days at room temperature and refrigerated for 3-4 days. If keeping the brownie pieces one above the other then butter paper should be placed in between to avoid sticking.