Cream of broccoli soup is a healthy and delicious soup recipe, makes it more filling and perfect for any meal. This is one of our favorite kind of creamy soup during winters.
Broccoli is rich in anti-oxidants, very high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. This is so comforting and loaded with nutrients and low in calories. I have not used any dairy cream in this recipe.
This is glutenfree and vegan recipe. I have used coconut milk instead of milk to prepare this soup. The best part of this soup is it can be prepared in 15 – 20 minutes.
How to get a perfect tasty cream of broccoli soup
Fresh broccoli gives the best results. This can be substituted with frozen, if that is the only one available.
Any blender can be used, I prefer really smooth paste. Instead of blending all the florets, I prefer to add few florets as such, after boiling the soup. This adds some crunch to the soup.
Blanching the broccoli makes the stem soft, helps in absorbing the flavour and blends well.
I wanted a vegan version of this soup, so added coconut milk. I have used homemade coconut milk in slightly thinner form. Store brought coconut milk can also be used.
Mixed herbs can be replaced with cinnamon and nutmeg powder.
How do you make this cream of broccoli soup
To make cream of broccoli soup, heat olive oil in a pan. Then add cumin and saute well until you get nice aroma. Add finely chopped onion, fry well until it slightly changes colour.
To this add mint and coriander leaves. After they become soft, add mixed herbs. Mix well, add few blanched broccoli florets, stir it once. In this step, if you wish to grind all the broccoli florets, then add them and grind into fine paste.
Cool the fried mixture and blend into fine paste. Heat a pan, add the broccoli paste, coconut milk and bring the mixture into boil. At this point decide the thickness of the soup and add the corn flour paste.
If the soup is thick enough, do not add the corn flour paste and continue with next step.
Add black pepper powder and salt as per taste to the boiling soup. The final step is to add the leftover broccoli florets and quickly give a boil for 2 minutes. Serve hot the delicious and healthy cream of broccoli soup.
Watch the Cream of
Broccoli soup recipe video
Soup recipes on blog
Cream of Broccoli soup recipe
- Broccoli florets - 2 cups (blanched)
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp
- Cumin or jeera - ½ tsp
- Onion (finely chopped) - ¼ cup
- Mint or pudina leaves - 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Mixed herbs - ½ tbsp
- Coconut milk - 2 cups
- Corn flour paste -1 tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Black pepper as per taste
- Water as per requirement
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add cumin, saute well. Add finely chopped onion and fry well.
- To this add mint leaves and coriander leaves. After they become soft, add mixed herbs.
- Mix well, add few blanched broccoli florets, stir it once. Cool this mixture and blend into fine paste.
- Heat a pan, add the fine paste, coconut milk and bring the mixture into boil.
- Add corn flour paste to adjust the thickness with little water.Add black pepper powder and salt as per taste to the boiling soup.
- Add the leftover broccoli florets and quickly give a boil for 2 minutes. Serve hot the delicious and healthy cream of broccoli soup.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.