Cornmeal brownies are glutenfree, chocolatey dessert fit to be relished with your loved ones. Cornmeal has multiple names like maize flour, in kannada is called as makke jolada hittu and in hindi as makke ka atta. Maize flour or cornmeal is yellowish flour or meal ground from dried maize or corn. It is commonly confused with corn flour or starch which is purely white fine powder of starch only extracted from corn. Maize flour serves as a source of essential nutrients and fibers. It is a good source of antioxidants and carotenoids promoting eye health. Well coming to this recipe I was truly inspired by conscious-cooking chickpea brownie recipe. From longtime wanted to try my version and this weekend was a brownie ice cream party at home. This is free of all raising agents, eggless, glutenfree, healthy brownie recipe.
We all enjoyed these gooey, fudgy, chocolatey brownies with a scoop of ice cream. Here coconut sugar and nutmeg powder adds flavor to brownies. This can be made vegan too by simply replacing butter with coconut butter. If you want to read my other brownie recipes here are the links barley brownies, avocado brownies, millet brownies. This is a pretty simple recipe with a prior preparation of flax egg or gel makes it simpler. Here is the recipe
Preparation time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Serves: 5 nos
Cornmeal or maize flour- ¾ cup
Coco powder-1 tbsp
Dark chocolate pieces- ½ cup
Butter Unsalted- ¼ cup
Flax gel or egg – flax meal or powder 1 tbsp + water 3 tbsp
Coconut sugar-2 tbsp
Brown sugar powdered- ¼ cup
Dark chocolate chips -1 tbsp
Nutmeg powder-1 tsp
- Preparation of flax gel/egg – In a small bowl, mix flax meal or powder with water and keep aside for 45 minutes or until gel like structure is formed.
- Prepare a baking tin by applying oil and lining with parchment paper (I have used 6 inch baking tin)
- Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10 minutes.
- Mix together cornmeal, coco powder, nutmeg powder in a bowl.
- Melt butter and dark chocolate on a double boiler. Remove from double boiler and add powdered sugar, coconut sugar. Mix vigorously.
- Now add flax gel and mix thoroughly. Slimy wet ingredient mixture is formed.
- Add this to dry ingredients and mix gently to get homogeneous mixture.
- Pour this thick mixture into the baking tin.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170℃ for 20 to 25 minutes. Do a toothpick test if the it comes out with few crumbs, then the brownies are done. Switch off and keep them in oven for 2-3 minutes and remove from oven. Cool completely and then slice them.
- Gooey fudgy chocolaty cornmeal brownies are ready to be served.
Do not bake for long time as the brownies tend to dry up.
The temperature and time of baking differs from each oven to oven. So please adjust accordingly.
Adding coco powder and choc chips is completely optional and any form of nuts like walnuts, almond can be added on top of these brownies.
Coconut sugar and nutmeg powder can be replaced with any flavors of choice.
Line the baking tray with parchment paper as they tend to stick to the bottom.
Do not over mix the batter, just mix to combine lump free batter.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.