Carrot mixed beans soup is creamy tasty glutenfree recipe. Carrots are the main ingredient in this soup. To increase the nutritional level I have added cooked dry beans like double beans, cowpeas along with antioxidant and beta carotene rich carrots. Well coming to the goodness of this soup, I am very happy that I served my family with this power pack wholesome soothing meal. Just a bowl of this soup is a complete meal by itself.
Legume seeds or pulses or dry beans are highly nutritional. Black eyed bean or cow pea and double beans are a type of lima beans used in many Indian dishes like curry, rice varieties. These are fibre rich and low fat with high protein content. Potassium is abundantly found along with other minerals (wiki). On a caution note, they need to be cooked well otherwise may lead to intestinal discomfort.
I usually prepare such soups during lazy weekends to avoid cooking many dishes. Believe me the soup tasted super delicious. My one twin kid liked it so much but the other one was not so very interested, it’s always like this in my house. I wanted the soup to be creamy and light yellow so blended the base ingredient carrots after cooking and finally added cream. The other way is to leave the carrot slices without cream as it is and add the other ingredients too to the vegetable broth. We love both the versions.
I have listed the ingredients and step wise recipe, do check this and try this winter to have soothing effect to your body. There are soup recipes on blog do check it out Carrot Turmeric Soup Grilled Onion Pumpkin Soup Sweet Corn Soup
Carrot Mixed Beans Soup Recipe
- Carrot slices - 2 cups
- Double beans -1 cup soaked overnight and pressure cooked
- Cowpeas - ½ cup soaked 2-3 hours and pressure cooked
- Olive oil-1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds or jeera - 1 tsp
- Bay leaf- 2 nos
- Cinnamon stick - 1 medium
- Onion - 2 medium sized
- Garlic pods - 4 pods
- Black pepper powder- 2 tsp
- Mixed herbs - 1 tbsp
- Cream - ½ cup
- Vegetable stock and water mixture as required
- Salt as per taste
- Heat a thick wok, add oil, cumin, saute well. Add few garlic pods, onion and saute well.
- Now add vegetable stock and water mixture, close and cook until the carrot slices soften.
- Cool this mixture, remove the bay leaf and cinnamon sticks and make a puree with hand blender or mixer grinder.
- Heat a pan, add the carrot puree, cooked beans, mix well, add salt, mixed herbs, black pepper powder and give it a boil.
- Lower the flame and add cream to this, adjust water as required, mix and cook well for a minute.
- Serve hot with some extra cream topping, salt and black pepper.
Any bean variety can be used for this soup.
Adjust salt, black pepper and mixed herbs as per taste.
Flavors for the soup can be changed as per taste.
After adding the carrot puree, bay leaf and cinnamon stick can be added back to the soup during boiling.
If vegetable stock is not available, water can be added for cooking. I have added the stock from cooked beans to cook the carrot slices.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.