Carrot coconut stuffed sweet flatbread otherwise called as holige, obbattu in Kannada and puran poli in marathi. Holige is an integral part of any festival or to celebrate some important occasions in Karnataka. During Ugadi festival different types of holige are prepared.
The traditional preparation of stuffed sweet flatbread or holige is mainly with channa dal, toor dal or coconut; flavoured with cardamom or nutmeg. Here I am presenting an interesting combination of carrot and coconut flavoured with nutmeg powder. My family loves this combination holige with ghee, it is soft textured with mild flavour of nutmeg oozing out.
Tips to get a perfect textured stuffing
Always blend equal proportion of grated carrot with coconut gratings. This gives a nice coarsely ground mixture, if carrot is blended individually it forms a paste.
The sugar syrup consistency is very important. Single thread consistency sugar syrup and a thorough stirring of carrot coconut mixture on medium flame until it thickens is very important step. It should hold its structure when balls are formed.
Preparing a perfect dough for holige
The dough for holige is prepared using all purpose flour or maida. To prepare perfect elastic dough, add water at intervals, start kneading for 10 minutes.
Next slowly add little oil at a time, start kneading again. The dough starts absorbing oil at this point. Keep this aside for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, again add oil and start kneading. Now smear oil, keep the dough again for 10 to 15 minutes. The dough is ready now for holige preparation. The elasticity in the dough helps in rolling a perfect holige.
Adding fine rava or chiroti rava helps in rolling the stuffed dough into proper circular shape. This is the trick I learnt from my sister-in-law.
Carrot coconut holige is served with melted ghee. The other out of the box delicious combination that is served at functions in malnad regions is with coconut mango rasayana or aamras, mixed fruit salad, coconut milk.
The other option of serving these is with sugar syrup. This syrup is prepared by only dissolving the sugar in water. This is poured on the hot holige and served.
Making this holige healthy!
Sugar and jaggery are the usual sweeteners. I have used sugar in preparing this holige. Coconut palm jaggery, cane sugar or normal jaggery can be used as healthy options. Since this is prepared occasionally, a sinful indulgence is always welcome…
Whole wheat flour can be replace for all purpose flour or maida. If whole wheat flour is used the taste and texture changes. Whole wheat flour requires more water and extra kneading to get the perfect dough for holige.
I usually roll the holige with oil and this requires too much of oil. So this time I have used all purpose flour or maida for rolling. This makes the work easy to roll the holige into thin big ones. The rolled flat bread can be cooked on hot dosa tawa using any odourless refined oil.
Variation in flavours!!
I have used nutmeg powder to flavour this carrot coconut holige. The other option is to use cardamom or a combination of these two flavours.
If you are looking for more Ugadi sweets click below
Carrot coconut stuffed sweet flatbread / Holige
For stuffing/ hoorna
- Carrot grated fine - 2 cups
- Coconut grated fresh - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Nutmeg powder - ¾ tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Fine rava or chiroti rava - 2 tbsp
For dough / kanaka
- All-purpose flour or Maida - 2 ½ cups
- Fine rava or chiroti rava -½ cup
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Refined oil - ½ cup
Carrot coconut stuffing preparation
- Take a mixer jar, dry blend grated carrot with coconut coarsely. Keep this aside.
- Heat a pan, add ghee and add 2 tbsp fine rava. Fry on low heat until you get nice aroma. Keep this aside.
- Now heat the same pan, add sugar and water. Prepare single thread consistency sugar syrup.
- Lower the heat, add the ground carrot coconut mixture, fried fine rava, nutmeg powder, mix well.
- Keep stirring the stuffing on medium flame until it thickens (mine took around 8 to 10 mins). Cool the mixture and prepare balls for stuffing.
- Take all purpose flour or maida in a big bowl, add salt, pinch of turmeric, fine rava, mix well. Add water little at once and prepare the dough.
- After the dough is prepared by kneading, add little oil at once, start kneading again until it absorbs completely. Keep this aside for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, start kneading again for another 5 minutes with one tablespoon of oil. Keep this aside for 10 minutes with little oil smeared on surface.
- Now the dough is ready for holige preparation. Take a ball of dough, spread evenly on the palm, keep the carrot coconut stuffing ball on the dough. Complete the stuffing by closing the sides.
- Flatten this stuffed dough, immerse in flour and roll into thin flat holige. Cook this on hot dosa tawa, smear oil on both sides while cooking.
- Serve these hot holige with ghee or cool them, store in airtight container.
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback.
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.