Carrot Cashew Custard Cake
When we have kids around, tend to bake some healthy goodies. I had prepared this cake for my niece who loves my bakes. Healthy, power packed with beta carotene, minerals and dietary fiber. It’s unique combination of goodness with whole wheat flour, barley flour, carrot, and cashew flavored with vanilla custard. The cake is inspiration from my foodie friends Shri Kripa, Madhura and Archana. The unique blend of carrot and cashew gives richness to the cake.
Let’s see the recipe of this healthy bake
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Whole wheat flour-3/4 cup
Barley flour-1/4 cup
Vanilla custard powder-1/4 cup
Baking powder- ½ tsp
Baking soda- ½ tsp
Salt a pinch
Buttermilk – ¾ cup
Carrot and cashew paste -1/2 cup
Powdered sugar- ¾ cup
Tutti fruity – ¼ cup
Lemon juice-1/2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven at 180°C for 10 mins.
- Sieve together whole wheat flour, barley flour, vanilla custard powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt for 6-8 times. Keep this aside.
- Now take buttermilk, powdered sugar, lemon juice in separate bowl. Mix well. Add the carrot and cashew paste to this.
- Now add the flour mix to the wet ingredients, mix gently until no lumps are seen. Pour this into greased medium loaf tin.
- Drop the flour coated tutti fruities on top and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 30 to 35 mins. Check for the doneness of the cake after 30 mins by toothpick method.
- After the cake is done, cool on wire rack and serve with a cup of milk.
Oven temperature settings varies from each individual oven.
Carrot and cashew paste: Take gratings of two medium sized carrot and 8-10 cashew with very little milk in pressure cooker. Cook for one or two whistle, cool and grind into fine thick paste without water.
Buttermilk can be replaced with milk.