Biryani masala powder is easy to make homemade recipe. Spices or spice blend or masala are the heart of Indian kitchen.
A glutenfree dairy-free homemade condiment recipe
This masala powder can be used to make a perfect biryani.
Vegetable biryani, cauliflower biryani, tender jackfruit biryani and more varieties of rice can be prepared. We love the aroma of this biryani powder and entire house is filled with the aroma while preparing this masala.
This is a glutenfree vegan recipe.
The aroma of fresh homemade spice powder is always better than store brought. These are preservative free masala making them healthier than store brought.
This is the recipe which I had noted down from a local magazine many years back in my recipe book. I have been following this recipe since many years.
How to prepare perfect biryani masala powder
Use fresh whole spices and not the old ones. The spices can be sun dried or dry roasted on pan.
The spices should be completely dry before powdering fine. If the spices are wet, the masala doesn’t stay good for long time.
Carefully roast the whole spices of on medium heat and avoid burning them.
The finely powdered masala can be sieved to get very fine powder or can be used as it is. The flavour remains the same.
Ground masala loose their aroma quickly than whole masalas. Therefore store the biryani masala powder in airtight container to retain the freshness and aroma. Homemade biryani masala powder can be stored under refrigeration to increase the shelf life.
Other homemade masala on blog, click below
Learn to make biryani masala powder with step by step photo and video recipe.
Biryani Masala Recipe
- Coriander seeds or dhaniya – 8 tsp
- Caraway seeds or shahi jeera – 4 tsp
- Fennel seeds or Saunf – 3 tsp
- Cloves or lavang – 2 tsp
- Black pepper or kali mirch – 2 tsp
- Black cardamom or big elaichi – 4 nos
- Green cardamom or small elaichi – 9 nos
- Stone flower black or kalpasi – 6 medium sized
- Cinnamon sticks or dalchini – 10 nos (small)
- Star anise or chakra phool – 5 no
- Mace flower or javitri – 2 nos
- Bay leaf or tej patta – 2 no
- Nutmeg powder or jaiphal – ½ tsp
- Heat a frying pan, start roasting the ingredients individually as listed above on medium heat until they are just hot enough or don’t contain any moisture.
- Transfer the roasted whole spices into a plate and cool them. Transfer them into mixer grinder and grind into fine powder with few minute particles is completely ok.
- Transfer into air tight container and store in cool dry place or refrigerator. Use this aromatic biryani masala powder to prepare delicious biryani
Pin it for later
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you. If you like my recipes and food photography do follow me on instagram, facebook, twitter, pinterest . If you happen to try any of my recipes do tag me with your photos and feedback. I would love to hear your review and suggestion. So do comment below
Dice n Cook is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associate Program. Hence this site may contain some of these links to Amazon.com. If you make a purchase through one of those links, Dice n Cook will receive a small commission from the purchase at no additional cost of you.