Brownies are dessert which is a cross between cake and a soft cookie in texture. Its heavenly with chocolate chips and nuts. Well this is mouthwatering!! So these brownies are made healthy with the goodness of barley and jaggery. Barley grain is rich in high fiber and high protein with numerous health benefits.
Here is the recipe for delicious gooey chocolate brownies enjoyed with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Serves: 5 nos
Barley -1 cup
Corn flour -2 tbsp
Cocoa powder -1/4 cup
Baking powder -1 tsp
Grated jaggery -3/4 cup
Buttermilk -3/4 cup or slightly more to get right consistency
Instant coffee powder -1 tsp
Vanilla essence -1 tsp
Oil -1/3 cup
Dry fruits, chocochips – 1/4 cup dusted with flour
- Sieve together barley flour (whole barley dry roasted for 1min and then powdered fine), cocoa powder, corn flour, baking powder and coffee powder for 6-8 times.
- Preheat the oven at 180℃ for 10mins.
- Whisk together buttermilk and Jaggery until the jaggery dissolves.
- Now add vanilla essence, oil to the above and mix well. Fold in the dry ingredients into wet ingredients slowly.
- Finally add the dry fruits and chocochips into batter. Pour into parchment paper lined baking tin and bake at 180℃ for 25 mins.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or dust with icing sugar.
Oven temperature settings depend on individual oven.
Ready to use barley flours are available. I have used home made barley powder.
If the brownies are baked for long time, they become dry, so if you wish to have a gooey, cracked brownies, remove from the oven between 25 to 30 mins.