Pickle with avocado!!! This was my reaction when I happened to see the recipe from Delish. I found this really interesting. Avocado is also called as butterfruit in India and has many healthy and culinary benefits. Avocado pickles are crunchy, yet soft, spicy and sour to taste. It’s just the perfect combination of flavors. If you don’t like those crunchy type of pickles I am sure you wouldn’t like this too. Adding flavors to this is height of innovation; anything can be added like chili flakes, black pepper powder, green chilies, honey, brown sugar, garlic, grated ginger, rosemary, basils, coriander leaves and few root veggies. Avocado pickles form good partner with rice and especially curd rice, can be used in salads, sandwiches too. I ate few directly from the jar…
My other yummy recipes with avocado is Avocado brownie
Well let me give the recipe now, it’s so easy to prepare
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Half ripe Avocado -1 medium sized
Water – ½ cup
Salt – 1 tbsp
Sugar – ⅓ cup
Chili flakes-1 tbsp
Black pepper powder- ½ tbsp
Garlic pieces-1 tbsp
Coriander leaves- 4-5 sprigs
- Clean and peel the skin of Avocado. Chop them into thin slices.
- Take a thick bottom pan, heat water. When the water boils, add vinegar and salt. Boil again for 1 minute.
- Now add sugar, boil again for 2 minutes or until the solution reduces slightly in quantity. Switch off the flame and cool this solution.
- Take a tight lid jar and add the avocado pieces, coriander leaves, garlic pieces, chili flakes, black pepper powder. Mix everything well.
- Now pour in the cooled vinegar solution and close the lid tightly. Incubate this for 1 day or until u see the avocado pieces sinking to the bottom and the clear vinegar solution turning turbid.
- Refrigerate the pickle and serve with rice or use it for salads.
Half ripe slightly firm avocado should be used for crunchy pickles.
As the avocado pulp is tasteless, innovation begins here. Any spices can be added for the pickle. Thin slices of avocado pulp give the best result.
The original recipe says to be kept in refrigerator for 3 hours. Well I changed it by keeping at room temperature and after it sinks kept it refrigerator.
I liked it, as it’s different from our typical Indian pickles. Since water is used, refrigeration is must and it stays good for 3-4 days.