Ash Gourd Majjige Huli – How to make Udupi Style Majjige Huli – Pavithra from Dice n Cook
Ash gourd majjige huli or curd based sambar is a traditional dish from Udupi, South India. This delicious sambar or huli is prepared in different regions of south India with slight variation in ingredients. I love majjige huli with lots of fresh coconut, coconut oil and asafoetida.
This recipe is followed in my family from ages, my grandmother, mother and mother-in-law have been following this full proof recipe. So thought of updating my blog with this traditional recipe.
Any vegetable can be used for this recipe. Ash gourd is high in nutrition with 95% water content and highly fibrous. So here is udupi style majjige huli recipe. It is a curd or buttermilk based curry made by mixing spiced coconut paste with cooked ash gourd. This is usually served with hot rice. There is one more yogurt based curry on blog click here for recipe Mambazha Pulissery or Mango Majjige Huli
Here is simple recipe of ash gourd majjige huli
Ash Gourd Majjige Huli Recipe
- Ash gourd /winter melon/ boodu gumbala cubes deskinned - 1 cup
- Coconut fresh grated - ½ cup
- Green chilies - 2 no small
- Cumin or jeera lightly roasted - 1 tsp
- Rice soaked - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- ¼ tsp
- Curd thick - ¾ cup
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida or hing - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves- 4-5 no
- Red chilies- 1 no
- Grind together grated fresh coconut, green chili, roasted jeera and soaked rice into fine paste.
- Take a vessel, add tablespoon coconut oil, turmeric powder, ash gourd cubes, salt and little water and cook on medium flame until they become soft.
- To this add ground coconut paste, curd, cook on low flame until we get nice aroma. Adjust the salt as per taste and water for consistency.
- For seasoning, heat coconut oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds, sauté well. To this add asafoetida, curry leaves, red chili and sauté well. Pour this on majjige huli.
- Mix well; ash gourd majjige huli is ready to be served hot with rice.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.