Udupi style Mattu gulla mavina hannu gojju recipe or roasted eggplant and mango curry is traditional authentic dish from coastal regions of Karnataka. It’s nutritious and delicious gojju recipe. I learnt this recipe from my mother-in-law. This happens to be our family favorite. Udupi mattu gulla is a variety of green brinjal grown mainly in regions of udupi, Karnataka. The unique taste, location and round shape of mattu gulla got its name and geographical indication. Many udupi style dishes are prepared using this brinjal with lots of fresh coconut. The brunt flavor of mattu gulla and mango forms a unique combination and if you happen to be a brinjal and mango fan then this is a must try recipe. If udupi gulla is not available, one can use any round eggplant for this gojju recipe. The recipe is vegan, gluten free too.
Detailed recipe of this simple authentic gojju is given below
Course: Curry /Side Dish
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 2 nos
Udupi gulla or eggplant or brinjal – 1 big
Ripe mango pulp – ½ cup
Onion chopped – ¼ cup
Green chili – 1 nos
Tamarind pulp – ½ tsp
Jaggery – ½ tbsp
Salt as per taste
Coconut oil – ½ tbsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Cumin or Jeera – ¼ tsp
Asafoetida or Hing – ¼ tsp
Red chili – 1 no
Curry leaves- 5 to 6 nos
- Roast or char the eggplant or udupi gulla directly on flame of gas burner until the outer skin turns black. Cool the roasted eggplant.
- Peel and discard the outer skin, and mash the pulp of roasted gulla.
- Take the mashed roasted gulla pulp, add ripe mango pulp, mix well.
- Add slit green chili to the pulp mixture and mash nicely.
- Add jaggery powder, tamarind paste, chopped onion and salt as per taste. Mix well so that everything blends well.
- For seasoning; heat a tadka pan, add coconut oil, add mustard seeds, cumin and sauté well.
- Add red chilli pieces, curry leaves, fry on medium flame.
- At end add asafoetida, fry for few seconds and pour this seasoning on the gojju.
- Mix well and serve with hot rice.
Any round brinjal/eggplant can be used instead of udupi gulla.
Adjust the jaggery, tamarind paste as per sweetness and tanginess of mangoes.
Using coconut oil gives a unique flavor to gojju, if this is not available any refined oil can be used.