Matar Kachhi Haldi Sabzi or Green Peas Turmeric Curry is a winter speciality from Rajasthan. The memory of matar kachhi haldi sabzi recipe goes back to my last year’s visit to Rajasthan, they have an amazing colorful culture and cuisine. I learn’t this recipe from a cook of the hotel we stayed in Jodhpur, who used to serve us with authentic Rajasthani dishes. This dish is winter delicacy; turmeric rhizomes with many health benefits like anti-inflammatory, antiseptic properties are harvested during winter and used in many tasty dishes. Green peas is another such veggies mainly seen during winters. This curry has a strong flavor of turmeric and not much frill’s in masala. It’s pretty simple recipe which goes well with any Indian flat bread.
Course: Side Dish
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Turmeric root or rhizome grated -2 tbsp
Green peas (fresh) – 1 ¼ cup
Fennel seeds (crushed) – 1tsp
Coriander seeds (crushed) -2 tsp
Red chili powder- ½ tbsp or as per taste
Ginger paste- 1 tsp
Thick curd- ½ cup
Tomato coarsely ground – ½ cup
Salt as per taste
Jaggery – 1 tsp (optional)
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Heat a pan, add ghee, add mustard seeds and sauté well.
- Add grated turmeric root and sauté well until it changes colour.
- Add coarsely ground tomato puree and ginger paste. Sauté well until it changes colour.
- Now add the crushed fennel seeds and coriander seeds, red chili powder and sauté well.
- Lower the flame and add thick curd, salt and jaggery. Cook on medium flame with stirring until everything just comes together.
- Now add the peas and cook, mash little peas using the back of the ladle. Cook until everything comes together and thickens.
- Rajasthani style kachhi haldi aur matar ki sabzi or turmeric peas curry is ready to be served.
Fry the turmeric root in oil well to avoid bitter after taste and also helps in maximum absorption.
The thickness of curry can be adjusted either with water or curd.
Dear readers, I am grateful for the time you have taken to read my posts which means a lot to me. Thank you.