Grilled onion pumpkin soup is an easy appetizing soup in a chilling weather. It is a comfort food with lovely silky texture. As everyone is aware of healthy benefits of pumpkin, it is a good source of minerals, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) and Riboflavin which helps in preventing degenerative damage to the eyes. The potassium in pumpkin has a positive effect on blood pressure. Well there are hundreds of pumpkin soup recipes out there and this is my version. The coconut milk and grilled onion garlic pods, roasted cumin give a nice flavor to this sweetish soup. This is a glutenfree and vegan recipe. At the end of a cold winter day, I would love to dunk some crusty bread into a bowl of creamy soup. It sounds heavenly and it tastes heavenly too.
It’s healthy, satisfying and perfect for cold weather!!! Here is my recipe
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves: 4 nos
Onion -1 medium
Garlic pods – 2
Pumpkin cubes – 1 ½ cup
Thick coconut milk – ½ cup
Cumin or jeera -1 tsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Black pepper powder – ½ tbsp
Salt as per taste
Water as required
Roasted pumpkin seeds for topping (optional)
- Roast cumin seeds, cool and make coarse powder. Keep this aside for further use.
- Take a vessel and cook pumpkin cubes in water, until soft. Keep this aside.
- Preheat the oven at 200℃ for 10 minutes.
- Take a baking tray, place onion and garlic pods, brush with olive oil. Grill onion and garlic pods at 200℃ for 5 to 10 minutes. Cool grilled onion, remove skin, chop into cubes.
- Take a blender, add cooked pumpkin cubes, chopped onion and garlic pods. Make a fine paste. Heat a thick bottomed pan, add olive oil, add pumpkin onion puree, coconut milk and little water. Boil well.
- Now add roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder and salt as per taste.
- Mix well and boil for few seconds. The soup is ready to be served hot topped with roasted pumpkin seeds. I have served with jackfruit papad.
Roasted pumpkin seeds preparation: If the pumpkin seeds are immature they can be used as it is. Boil the seeds in water with salt and pepper for 15 mins. Pat dry the seeds on kitchen cloth. Toast the seeds in preheated oven at 200℃ for 10 mins or until they are slightly golden. If the pumpkin seeds are mature, remove skin after toasting it. (Recipe source: TV show)
Onion and garlic pods can be grilled on a grill pan or directly on flame.
Pumpkin cooked water can be used for soup preparation.
Salt and black pepper powder quantity is variable and depends on individual taste.