Apple cinnamon guliyappa or appe is a sweet dish prepared using gobindobhog rice from Max Health and apple with light flavor of cinnamon. This is healthy aromatic snack for kids. Frankly speaking my kids loved these pillow soft guliyappa. This recipe is in association with “Belly Nirvana” organized by plattershare and PlaceofOrigin.in – Indian Tastes Delivered. Under this program I have received Gobindobhog rice.
Gobindobhog rice is a superior quality rice cultivar grown in West Bengal, India. It’s a speciality of every Bengali household which is offered as a bhog to god. It is white, aromatic, sticky, short rice with buttery aroma. It was traditionally cultivated in districts of Bardhaman, Hooghly, Nadia, Birbhum (Wiki) of West Bengal. Many varieties of dishes can be prepared using this rice like khichdi, pulao, kheer. Guliyappa or appe is prepared using rice, jaggery, fresh coconut.
If you want to buy this rice here is the link below
Here is my simple recipe
Preparation time: 2 hours
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 nos
Apple (big) – 1
Gobindobhog rice (Max Health) – 1 cup
Jaggery powder – ¾ cup
Fresh Coconut (grated) – ¾ cup
Cinnamon powder – ½ tsp
Ghee – 3 tbsp
Oil – 2 tbsp
Salt as required
Cooking soda a pinch (optional)
Water as required
- Take a bowl and soak rice in water for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take a mixer jar, add soaked rice, grated coconut, jaggery powder and prepare a fine paste.
- Pour this into the bowl, add salt and cinnamom powder.
- Peel the skin from apple and grate it. Add this directly to the rice batter and mix well.
- Keep this batter for 15 minutes to set.
- In the mean time, heat the appe pan on medium flame, mix oil and ghee together and keep aside.
- Just before preparing the appe, add cooking soda and mix well.
- Grease the appe pan, keep on medium flame, pour the batter into each well, close and cook.
- After half way, add ghee mixture on the sides, close again and cook. Reverse and cook again.
- Apple cinnamon guliyappa or appe is ready to be served hot with ghee.
Generously ghee can be added on sides to get nice crisp outer and inner soft guliyappa or appe.
Gobindobhog rice (Max Health) is optional, any normal dosa rice can be used. The rice I have used is aromatic and gives a nice aroma to the guliyappa.
Medium flame and ghee is the key to get nice golden colour to the guliyappa.