Cinnamon rolls have their origin from Sweden. This is my version of cinnamon rolls wherein I have given the flavors of fresh fig and honey to the traditional cinnamon rolls. This is my second recipe with fresh figs and honey. I did few experiments with fresh figs and this one was an instant hit with my kids. Since fresh figs are healthy ingredients wanted to try in my dishes. Fresh figs are good source of several essential minerals and vitamins. Honey is a great natural sweetener, packed with natural fructose and glucose. It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties too. Fresh fig forms a unique combination with cinnamon and honey. The dough is layered with fresh fig jam, rolled and baked to get aromatic soft teatime snack.
Check this one more recipe using fresh fig.
Here is the simple recipe of flavored aromatic rolls
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 30 mins
Serves: 10 rolls
For the fresh fig jam
Fresh figs- 4 nos
Butter- 1 tbsp
Cane sugar- 1 tbsp
Water- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder- 1 ¼ tsp
Honey- 2 ½ tbsp
For the cinnamon roll dough
All purpose flour – 1 ½ cup
Instant yeast -1 tsp
Salt- 1 tsp
Castor sugar -2 tbsp
Butter- 2 tbsp
Warm milk- 1 cup
Cane sugar (2 tbsp) + Cinnamon powder (½ tsp) mixture.
Flour for dusting
Extra butter for applying on dough
Extra milk for brushing
Preparation of fresh fig jam
- Clean the fresh fig, peel the skin and finely chop the pulp. Coarsely blend the figs and keep this aside.
- Heat a thick bottom pan, melt butter and add cane sugar, water. Mix well on medium flame.
- Now add the ground fresh fig paste. Add cinnamon powder, honey and mix well.
- Cook on medium flame until it thickens. Cool this jam for further use.
Preparation of roll
- Sieve together all purpose flour and salt. Keep this aside.
- Take warm milk in a tall tumbler, dissolve half of castor sugar.
- Now add instant yeast to this milk and mix once. Close and keep this aside for 15 minutes.
- Take a big bowl, add the sieved all purpose flour- salt mixture, remaining castor sugar.
- Now add the bloomed milk yeast mixture to the flour. Add butter to this. Mix well to form sticky dough.
- Knead this dough by dusting with little flour for 10 minutes on a flat clean surface and to get smooth dough.
- Place this dough for first proofing in oil greased bowl closed with cling wrap in a warm place. Keep this aside for 1 hour or until the dough doubles (I kept it in my oven with main switch off as its chill weather here).
- After doubling, punch the dough and release the air. Knead for 1 minute.
- Roll the dough into thin sheet using rolling pin on dusted platform. Apply butter evenly on the surface of dough sheet. Next apply the fresh fig jam evenly.
- Now sprinkle cinnamon and cane sugar mixture evenly.
- Roll this tightly into a log and cut them vertically into equal sized rolls.
- Place these rolls with concentric circles facing upwards on a greased baking tray.
- Close with wet cloth and allow them for second raise for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Brush the surface of raised rolls with milk and bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 25 to 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, take them out and brush them with butter to get nice soft rolls.
- Serving options: These rolls served warm with a scoop of ice cream and honey on top makes it tastier.
Do not cook the jam on high flame as this tends to burn the jam.
Cane sugar in the jam is optional instead only honey can be used.
Instant yeast need not be bloomed but I prefer to check the viability of yeast and then proceed.
Warm milk should be used not the hot milk as this kills the yeast.
Never mix salt directly with yeast as this kills the yeast.
Kneading for 10 minutes by stretch and fold method is important for good soft rolls.
Using butter generously makes the rolls soft.
Always serve these fresh fig honey cinnamon rolls warm to get the authentic taste.