Rava chakli is a tea time snack during rainy season…though its apt for any season. It is the easiest chakli I have ever made in recent times and a keep up recipe which can never go wrong. It needs very few ingredients resulting in crispy chakli. From the time, I learn’t it from my facebook foodie friend Vinutha Rao have prepared it numerous time and now it’s our family’s favorite snack. Dear readers do try this easy recipe and share your opinion.
Here goes the recipe
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves: 10 Nos
Chiroti rava or fine rava -1 cup
Water – 2 cup
Rice flour -2 cup
Jeera – 1tbsp
Hing – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Butter- 2 tbsp
Oil for deep frying
- Take water in a pan and allow it to boil, add salt to this and mix well.
- Add chiroti rava to boiling water. Mix well to form lump free mixture similar to the uppittu. Switch off the flame and then add rice flour, jeera, hing, butter.
- Prepare dough when it is hot enough to handle
- Heat the oil in a pan for deep frying on medium high flame. Prepare chakli using the presser.
- Remove chakli from hot oil once they stop sizzling and sink to the bottom.
- Cool them and store in air tight container.
Deep frying on medium high flame is the key for crispy chakli.
The variant of plain rava chakli is pudina rava chakli which can be prepared by adding the following ingredients and method remains the same.
Pudina paste -1/2cup
Jeera powder -1/2tsp
Green chilli paste – 1 tbsp
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Garam Masala -1/2 tsp
If fine rava is not available, uppittu rava or bombay rava can be powdered in dry mixer and used for chakli preparation.