Many of my friends wanted the recipe of Neer Dosa. So here is the simple and quick dosa recipe. Neer dosa as the name suggests it is water dosa. It is a delicacy from Mangalore and Udupi district. The batter doesn’t require any fermentation process. The batter is watery and not like the normal thick dosa batter. Dosa is light, lacy, soft and tasty served usually with chutney, coconut and jaggery mixture.
Here is the simple recipe
Preparation time: 2 1/2 hrs
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: 3 Nos
Dosa rice-1 cup
Freshly grated coconut- 2 tbsp
Oil to prepare dosa
Water as required
Salt to taste
- Soak rice in water for 2 hours. Grind together rice and coconut gratings into very fine paste
- Now add water to prepare very thin consistency dosa batter. Add salt to this.
- Heat the iron skillet, apply oil, reduce the flame, splash the thin batter on the skillet so that it covers the skillet completely.
- Close and cook the dosa on high flame until done. Do not flip the dosa.
- Fold them and serve with chutney of choice or grated coconut jaggery mixture.
Neer dosa can be prepared using only rice. In this recipe I have used coconut as this gives a nice aroma. The batter should be very fine paste.
The batter consistency is very important. Thin batter gives good thin soft dosa. In this recipe, I have taken one cup of fine batter paste and added two cups of water or slightly more. Experience gives a good idea of how much water to be added.
Mix the batter every time dosa is prepared because the batter tends to settle down.
Splash the batter on skillet on low flame whereas cook the dosa on high flame.
Always close the lid and prepare the dosa.
Do not overcook the dosa and it should not brown like other dosa.
Cool each dosa after preparing and stack them as this prevents the dosa from sticking to one another.