This is just an apt time to prepare mango pickle during the month of March. I learnt this recipe from my mother. It’s not only delicious but also easy to prepare. The tangy flavor of mango with other spices and topped with hing gives a unique combination. Serve these spicy tasty pickles with curd rice, parantha, dosa. It just adds a zing to even a simple everyday food.
Here goes the recipe
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 45 min.
Raw mangoes – 2 nos
Salt- 2 tbsp
Red chillies- 10 nos
Jeera -1 tsp
Menthya or methi -1/2tsp
Coconut oil or any refined oil- 4 tbsp
Hing- 1/4 tsp
- Finely chop raw mangoes and mix with salt and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- For pickle masala, dry roast red chillies, jeera and menthya. Cool and grind into fine powder.
- Mix the pickle masala with finely chopped mangoes.
- Now do the tempering or seasoning by taking oil in a small pan, add hing, saute well. Cool this.
- Now add this to the pickle, mix well. Store this in airtight glass jar and use after 2 to 3 days.
This pickle can be used instantly. Totapuri or ginimoothi mango can also be used which gives both sweetness and tanginess to the pickle.