Here is a 3 ingredients roti called as Jolada roti. It is a staple food of most north Karnataka people. It’s a delicious flat bread made of jowar or Sorghum. It’s relished with different chutney, Enne gai palya or Jhunka. It’s low calorie gluten free roti. It can be either soft or hard depending on how we prepare. Preparing jowar bhakri has been in wish list for many years. But recently when I visted my co-sister from Belgaum I saw practically how its done and got to taste it with Jhunka. Its very simple to make if we follow the steps methodically. Do make this as part of your everyday meal to have healthy living. Here is the simple recipe to get soft roti.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
No of roti: 3 medium sized
Jowar flour – 1/2 cup (8 tbsp)
Water -1/2 cup
Salt as per taste
- Keep water for boiling, add salt. When water boils well, lower the flame, and add jowar flour.
- Mix once, switch off the flame, close the lid and keep for 5 mins.
- When the flour is still warm, start kneading it for 10 to 15 mins with little fresh flour.
- Kneading is very important to get the right consistency of dough.
- Now take small roundels, knead again and using the fingers start tapping it or roll it using rolling pin dusting it with little flour.
- Cook the roti with dusted flour facing upwards on hot skillet.
- Apply little water on this surface.
- Wait until the water evaporates and appearance of few bubbles. Now turn it upside down and cook. The roti puff up and now Jolada roti or Jowar bhakri is ready to be served.
Always sieve the jowar flour before using it. This is an important step because the texture of flour is important to get soft non breakable roti.
Always prepare the dough in hot water.
Do not compromise with the kneading process when the dough is warm enough to handle.